The Archer (アーチャー Āchā) is a physical combat class that recurrently appears across the Fire Emblem Series. Archers are foot soldiers carrying Bows to launch assaults on their foes at a range without fear of counterattacks. This is, however, offset by the fact that Archers are unable to attack from one space away under normal circumstances, making them vulnerable on Enemy Phases. While low on HP and defense, owing to their ability to strike from afar, Archers will prove to be assets to the player so long as they are properly guarded before the Player Phase is ended.
- 1 History in the Series
- 2 Overview
- 3 In-Game
- 4 Notable Archers
- 5 Trivia
- 6 Gallery
- 7 See also
History in the Series
In their original inception in Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light, the Archer class promotes into the more powerful Sniper class, enhancing their strengths and often rounding out their weak points (such as low HP and defense).
Both Thracia 776 and TearRing Saga: Utna Heroes Saga feature the Archer class as an enemy-exclusive class. The playable version, like in Genealogy of the Holy War, takes the form of the Bow Fighter class.
In TearRing Saga: Berwick Saga, the Archer class is once again an enemy-exclusive class. Interestingly, there are two variations of this class: with one used by units affiliated with an army and one used by units affiliated with criminals. The version used by the former is virtually identical to a dismounted Sherlock in function. The criminal variant has worse stats across the board but possesses the same movement type as Thieves and a completely different set of sprites. Both of them can only equip bows.
The Archer class formally returns to the series as a playable unit in The Binding Blade, where it yet again promotes into the Sniper class.
In The Sacred Stones, Archers are further given the option to promote into Rangers alongside Snipers, a mounted class that possesses balanced stats and can engage in close-range melee combat with Swords.
This trait resurfaces in Awakening, where Archers are further given the option to promote into Bow Knights alongside Snipers.
In Fates, the Archer class is known as the Bow User (弓使い Yumi tsukai) in the Japanese version, where it is treated as a Hoshidan class. Considered the counterpart to the Nohrian Outlaw class, Archers are able to promote into Kinshi Knights alongside Snipers, the first flying Bow-wielding class to appear in the series.
In Warriors, a version of Archer similar to the Fates's archer serves as Takumi's base class.
In Three Houses, The Archer Class is an optional promoted class of the Commoner or Noble class if the unit passes the Certification Exam at Lv. 10 with a Bow Skill Level of C or higher and an Intermediate Seal.
While Archers are capable of attacking most Sword, Lance, or Axe users without being counterattacked, any enemy in range can easily move in and fearlessly launch attacks on them; not being able to counterattack at melee range is an inherent downside of the class. This thus necessitates proper cover and support to be ceded to them. In this regard, any type of ground unit, preferably one with at least moderate Defense, will fill the role rather well.
Archers are also strong against flying units such as Pegasus Knights, and drawing these enemies into their firing range will, therefore, save the player plenty of trouble in the later stages of any given battle that they are engaging. In Gaiden and its remake, Archers are able to attack enemies from three spaces away, as well as being able to counterattack melee fighters, as opposed to the usual two.
|FE10||Shove||Base skill of all foot units.|
|Learnt at Level 1.|
Learnt at Level 10.
|Learnt at Level 1 and above.|
Learnt at Level 10 and above.
|FE15||Bowrange +1||Class skill of the Archer class.|
|Base Ability of Archer.|
Mastery Ability of Archer.
|Base Class||Promotion Method||Promoted Class|
|FE1||Archer||Use Orion's Bolt on a Level 10+ Archer.||Sniper|
|FE2||Villager||Visit Shrine after reaching Level 3.||Archer|
|FE2||Archer||Visit Shrine after reaching Level 7.||Sniper|
|FE3||Archer||Use Orion's Bolt on a Level 10+ Archer.||Sniper|
|FE6||Archer||Use Orion's Bolt on a Level 10+ Archer.||Sniper|
|FE7||Archer||Use Orion's Bolt on a Level 10+ Archer.||Sniper|
|FE8||Archer||Use Orion's Bolt on a Level 10+ Archer.||Sniper|
|Use a Master Seal on a Level 10+ Archer.|
|Use a Master Seal on a Level 10+ Archer or train an Archer to Level 21.|
|FE11||Archer||Use a Master Seal on a Level 10+ Archer.||Sniper|
|FE12||Archer||Use a Master Seal on a Level 10+ Archer.||Sniper|
|FE13||Archer||Use a Master Seal on a Level 10+ Archer.||Sniper|
|FE14||Archer||Use a Master Seal on a Level 10+ Archer.||Sniper|
|FE15||Villager||Visit Shrine after reaching Level 3.||Archer|
|FE15||Archer||Visit Shrine after reaching Level 7.||Sniper|
|FE16||Any class||Use an Intermediate Seal on a Level 10+ unit and pass the Archer Certification Exam.||Archer|
|FEW||Archer||Use a Master Seal on Takumi.||Sniper|
- Gordin - A masterful Altean archer who looks younger than he actually is.
- Tomas - Member of the Archanea Knights, who was captured and imprisoned in the palace.
- Norne - An archer and volunteer soldier who took up arms in the struggle that consumed her homeland and aided Marth's escape.
- Python - An archer with the Deliverance whose nonchalant exterior belies a serious character that cares deeply for his allies.
- Leon - A handsome but narcissistic Zofian archer who adores his friend Valbar.
- Wolt - An archer serving Pherae. Roy's milk-brother.
- Dorothy - A girl from Etruria serving the Elimine church.
- Wil - A youth from Pherae, in the Lycian League. Very social.
- Rebecca - A kind and sociable girl who lives in a remote Pheraen village and spends her time hunting.
- Neimi - A childhood friend of Colm who hails from Renais. She cries a lot.
- Rolf - Member of the Greil Mercenaries and the youngest brother of Oscar and Boyd. He is a gentle and bright boy.
- Leonardo - An archer of noble birth, whose family was destroyed by war. His personality rarely shows, since he is quiet and rarely talks. A serious and thoughtful person. He regularly nags his daydreaming partner, Edward.
- Virion - The rightful ruler of Rosanne in Valm who has a tendency for wit and puffery.
- Noire - Tharja's daughter from the future. A timid girl with violent mood swings as a result of being her mother's guinea pig for her curses during her childhood.
- Takumi - The sometimes prickly prince of Hoshido who wields the divine bow Fujin Yumi.
- Kiragi - Takumi's son and a prince of Hoshido. A skilled archer with a passion and knack for hunting.
- Setsuna - A Hoshidan archer and one of Hinoka's retainers who is either fearless or daydreaming.
- Dune - A well-liked hunter from Lucca Village. He was abandoned there as a child.
- Sheela - Granddaughter of the Yapa elder. She is determined to see the world for herself.
- The Archer class is unused in Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War. It can be seen if cheats or hacking are used. The class has a C rank in Bows so it can be assumed that it was going to be a lesser version of the Bow Fighter class. If the class is brought into battle, the game will freeze.