—Arlen to Merric
Arlen is an enemy and playable character in Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem and Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem. He is leader of the mage army of Khadein. He is Wendell's first disciple, and Merric's bitter rival. Having aligned himself with Archanea, he uses the war with Altea as an excuse to attack Merric. He confronts Merric, revealing that the reason Arlen dislikes the young mage was because Master Wendell chose Merric to receive Excalibur instead, due to Arlen's lack of a caring heart. He joins Marth's side after being shamed by Wendell, who tells him that he's following Gharnef's path by letting his jealousy overcome him. After the war, he became a High Bishop and worked tirelessly to restore the city of magic.
In both Mystery of the Emblem and New Mystery of the Emblem, he appears as the boss of Chapter 10. Have Wendell speak to him to recruit him.
|Item Required||Promoted Class|
|Tome - C||Thoron|
Subjective: The following part of this article is subjective to the editor's writing. Therefore, it may not work for everyone.
Arlen has very lopsided stats for a magic user, but he is not a bad unit when trained. He has low luck, but good skill and speed. He can get very high hp; he can also get good defense, but this is compensated with unusually low resistance, meaning he should be attacking physical attackers instead of magic users.
As an enemyEdit
- Arlen: I won't lose to someone like Merric. Anyone who sides with him is my enemy. Thunder, strike them down! Thoron!!
- Arlen: Why does everyone side with HIM...? Even though... even though I'm stronger!
- Wendell: How horrible... Consumed by your own hatred, you have forgotten what is truly important.
Talk with WendellEdit
- Wendell: Arlen! What are you doing!?
- Arlen: Master Wendell...
- Wendell: You still don't understand my decision, do you? Indeed as a mage, your power surpasses mine. But you lack compassion. That is why I did not grant you Excalibur.
- Arlen: ... Compassion...?
- Wendell: I had decided that you were to be my successor when the time came. To think you would harbor a grudge towards me... Does that not make you the same as Gharnef?
- Arlen: The same as Gharnef...? Teacher! What are you saying?
- Wendell: Arlen, listen to me... Gharnef, along with Pontifex Miloah, were Lord Gotoh's best pupils. But Lord Gotoh saw Gharnef's weakness, and so he left Khadein and the Aura tome to Pontifex Miloah. Gharnef, overcome by jealousy, stole the Darksphere from Lord Gotoh, and created the Imhullu tome. As a result... his heart was trapped in the Darksphere for all eternity. Wrath and envy led him to ruin. Do you understand now, Arlen...?
- Arlen: ...Teacher... ...Teacher! I'm so sorry. I... I was wrong. Please... find it in your heart to forgive me...!
- Wendell: Arlen, you will use that power of yours for the good of the people. Understand?
—Arlen's death quote in Mystery of the Emblem and New Mystery of the Emblem
New Mystery of the EmblemEdit
"As a pontifex of Khadein, Arlen strived to restore the City of Magic. His strict personality earned him the respect of his students."