—Arlen to Merric
Arlen is an enemy and playable character in Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem and Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem. He is leader of the mage army of Khadein. He is Wendell's first disciple, and Merric's bitter rival. Having aligned himself with Archanea, he uses the war with Altea as an excuse to attack Merric. He confronts Merric, revealing that the reason Arlen dislikes the young mage was because Master Wendell chose Merric to receive Excalibur instead, due to Arlen's lack of a caring heart. He joins Marth's side after being shamed by Wendell, who tells him that he's following Gharnef's path by letting his jealousy overcome him. After the war, he became a High Bishop and worked tirelessly to restore the city of magic.
- 1 Profile
- 2 In-Game
- 3 Quotes
- 4 Ending
- 5 Non-Canon Appearances
- 6 Choose Your Legends Placement History
- 7 Gallery
Prior the war
Arlen was a very talented mage at the School of Khadein, enough to be Wendell's first apprentice. However, he was arrogant and uncaring, and his personality made other students back away from him, although he didn't care much. One point during his life, he was approached by Merric, who wanted to become his friend. Arlen was constantly asked by Merric to be his friend, but he just ignored all of his attempts. In time, Arlen started to like Merric's company and consider him a friend. However, his newfound like was soon shattered when Wendell entrusted the tome Excalibur to Merric, considering Arlen not worthy of wielding it, because of his ruthlessness. Arlen grow to despise both Merric and his former master.
Taking advantage of Wendell's absence, Arlen took control of Khadein and prepared an attack against the Altean army. Before attacking, however, Arlen challenged Merric to a duel out of envy, claiming that only one will leave alive. Merric refused to fight him, stalling enough time for Wendell to arrive and talk to Arlen, convincing him that his hatred would have turned him like Gharnef. Realizing his mistakes, Arlen begs for forgiveness and joins Marth's army to atone.
After the war, Arlen became the pontifex of Khadein and worked hard to restore the city, also earning the respect of many students.
In both Mystery of the Emblem and New Mystery of the Emblem, he appears as the boss of Chapter 10. Have Wendell speak to him to recruit him.
|Item Required||Promoted Class|
|Tome - C||Thoron|
Subjective: The following part of this article is based upon the editor's personal experiences and opinions, and therefore may not be applicable for all readers.
Arlen has very lopsided stats for a magic user, but he is not a bad unit when trained. He has low luck, but good skill and speed. He can get very high hp; he can also get good defense, but this is compensated with unusually low resistance, meaning he should be attacking physical attackers instead of magic users.
As an enemy
- Arlen: I won't lose to someone like Merric. Anyone who sides with him is my enemy. Thunder, strike them down! Thoron!!
- Arlen: Why does everyone side with HIM...? Even though... even though I'm stronger!
- Wendell: How horrible... Consumed by your own hatred, you have forgotten what is truly important.
Talk with Wendell
- Wendell: Arlen! What are you doing!?
- Arlen: Master Wendell...
- Wendell: You still don't understand my decision, do you? Indeed as a mage, your power surpasses mine. But you lack compassion. That is why I did not grant you Excalibur.
- Arlen: ... Compassion...?
- Wendell: I had decided that you were to be my successor when the time came. To think you would harbor a grudge towards me... Does that not make you the same as Gharnef?
- Arlen: The same as Gharnef...? Teacher! What are you saying?
- Wendell: Arlen, listen to me... Gharnef, along with Pontifex Miloah, were Lord Gotoh's best pupils. But Lord Gotoh saw Gharnef's weakness, and so he left Khadein and the Aura tome to Pontifex Miloah. Gharnef, overcome by jealousy, stole the Darksphere from Lord Gotoh, and created the Imhullu tome. As a result... his heart was trapped in the Darksphere for all eternity. Wrath and envy led him to ruin. Do you understand now, Arlen...?
- Arlen: ...Teacher... ...Teacher! I'm so sorry. I... I was wrong. Please... find it in your heart to forgive me...!
- Wendell: Arlen, you will use that power of yours for the good of the people. Understand?
—Arlen's death quote in Mystery of the Emblem and New Mystery of the Emblem
New Mystery of the Emblem
"As a pontifex of Khadein, Arlen strived to restore the City of Magic. His strict personality earned him the respect of his students."
Arlen is illustrated in the trading card game Fire Emblem Cipher with the following cards:
Choose Your Legends Placement History
|CYL1||469||Mystery of the Emblem/New Mystery of the Emblem||261|
|Mystery of the Emblem/New Mystery of the Emblem||168|
|CYL3 saw the transition to different counting mechanisms involving versions of characters and ties, so change measured between CYL2 and CYL3 shouldn't be taken at face value.|
|Mystery of the Emblem/New Mystery of the Emblem||246|
|Mystery of the Emblem/New Mystery of the Emblem||216|
|Mystery of the Emblem/New Mystery of the Emblem||166|