—Ashnard, to Reyson in Path of Radiance.
Ashnard, also known as the Mad King, is the 13th King of Daein and the main antagonist of Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance. He wields the wicked sword Gurgurant, and his mount is the twisted body of Rajaion, the Black Dragon prince of Goldoa. He is unlocked by completing fifteen playthroughs of the game.
The 13th King of the nation of Daein, Ashnard wages war on Crimea in an effort to ignite a continent-wide conflict. His goal is to obtain Lehran's Medallion, the Fire Emblem, which holds the spirit of a dark god that thrives on chaotic energies. Although he obtains the medallion and makes numerous efforts to sow the seeds of war across Tellius, he is ultimately defeated at the end of the game despite being able to use the medallion to gain god-like power. Ashnard's wyvern mount is in fact not a wyvern at all, but the warped form of Rajaion, the prince of Goldoa, a black dragon laguz, and Ena's fiance as well as the brother of Ashnard's wife, Almedha. Before becoming king, he was a great warrior who was able to almost single-handedly grant victory to Daein in a minor conflict between Daein and Begnion. His rise to power was considered highly unlikely, because a long list of other relatives stood ahead of him in line for the throne. Although it is publicly believed that a major illness led to the deaths of the other potential rulers, in reality, they were all killed by Ashnard.
In Radiant Dawn, it is revealed through Ashnard's wife, Almedha, that Ashnard had tricked his father, the king into signing a blood pact. When the king unknowingly broke it, many citizens of Daein perished under the blood pact's plague. Ashnard ended the blood pact by killing his father and destroying the document. One year after the plague subsided and all of the Daein royal family in succession for the throne were dead, Ashnard was crowned King of Daein. His coronation occurred 18 years before Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance. It is also revealed that Ashnard is the father of Soren.
Ashnard believes that the current society, based on Begnion's hierarchy, is wrong. He believes that one's lot in life should be solely based on their power; he tells Reyson that class and species will not matter in his world, that the strong will ultimately rule the weak. This likely explains Daein's system, where those who display great levels of might, particularly in combat, have the ability to gain much power within Daein society, regardless of class or social standing.
Help Description: The Mad King of Daein. He desired to remake the world by releasing the chaos of Lehran's medallion, so that strength would dictate authority. He lost the war and his life to Crimea.
- First Battle
| Sword - S|
Axe - A
- Second Battle (Hard mode or higher only)
| Sword - S|
Axe - A
*The Second Battle commences right after you kill Normal Ashnard.
|Lance - B|
Axe - A
*Enemy only; joins unequipped
- Mad King
- The thirteenth ruler of Daein. Plotting to wield his power to rule without opposition, he plunges the whole continent of Tellius into war. Appears in Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance.
|Dragon Fang||Dragon Gaze||-|
|A||Distant Def 1||-|
|Distant Def 2||Distant Def 1|
|Distant Def 3||Distant Def 2|
|C||Even Atk Wave 1||-||-|
|Even Atk Wave 2||Even Atk Wave 1||-|
|Even Atk Wave 3||Even Atk Wave 2|
Subjective: The following part of this article is based upon the editor's personal experiences and opinions, and therefore may not be applicable for all readers.
Path of RadianceEdit
Brawl Trophy ProfileEdit
|Name||Image||Artwork from||Effect in The Subspace Emissary|
|Ashnard||Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance||[Slash] - Resistance +34|
Usable by: Marth, Ike
Ashnard appears in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate as a Support Spirit, unlocked from completing his Spirit Battle during the World of Light campaign or on the Spirit Board. When equipped, the fighter gain increased upward and downward launch power, including meteor smashes.
Ashnard is illustrated in the trading card game with the following cards:
- Ashnard is one of the several final bosses in the series to move. The others are Idunn, Fomortiis, Duma, Garon and Nemesis. That said, Ashnard moves only on Hard Mode.
- Despite being the main antagonist of the game, Ashnard himself never appeared in any of the game's numerous cutscenes.
- Ashnard shares his title of "Mad King" with Gangrel.
- He's one of the few final bosses to only fight as a human, without any supernatural influences. Most other final bosses, on the other hand, are either dragons or supernatural-powered beings, and tend to transform into monstrous creatures after being defeated as humans. While he has a dragon, he never uses it in battle and only attacks with his sword.
- See main article: Ashnard/Gallery.