—Benny in a support conversation with Beruka
Benny is a playable character in Fire Emblem Fates and an ally on the Conquest and Revelation routes.
Benny appears briefly in Chapter 14 as Corrin and the Hoshidan army launches an assault at the Border Walls where he and Charlotte are defending. The border guards are defeated and Benny's fate is unknown.
On Chapter 13, Corrin's army arrives at Cheve to stop the rebellion. The sounds of battle eventually waken Benny and Charlotte; Charlotte is angry at the Chevois for disturbing her sleep while Benny is indifferent to the raging battle. After a short misunderstanding by Corrin, Benny attempts to tell them that Charlotte wanted to "kick their asses", but is quickly hushed up by her. Benny follows along with Charlotte and joins the army.
After hearing Corrin stopping Xander and Ryoma from clashing at the Destroyed Town, King Garon sends Benny and Charlotte alongside Silas to Port Dia to stop Corrin. During their battle, Benny meets Elise who politely says hello to him. He is surprised when she calls him a softie as he is used to others being intimidated by his appearance. After asking if Benny would like to join Corrin's army, Benny accepts, hoping to meet other kind individuals in the army like Elise.
In Paralogue 17, Benny is informed by some villagers that a knight is defending the village alone. Realizing it's his son, Ignatius, Benny and the army head straight to the Village to save his son and protect the village. When reuniting with his Ignatius, he mistakes him for an enemy and threatens to kill him, before Benny tells him it's his father. Ignatius is surprised to see him, and Benny claims he came running as soon as he heard he was in trouble and tells him to leave while he fights, but Ignatius won't and wants to fight alongside his father to defend the village, Benny agrees to this.
After a long battle, the village is safe from the invisible forces. Benny approaches his son, proud of his newfound strength. Ignatius plays down his father's compliments, saying that if not for his original rescue, he would have most likely been killed. Knowing that he still is not as strong as his father, he demands to join the army to become stronger alongside his father. Benny obliges, but tells Ignatius that he is not as brave as he thinks as he has only been in war for a short time compared to most of the other war hardened members of the army. Nevertheless, Ignatius tells his father that he wants to become a hero just like him and Benny responds that Ignatius is fine just the way he is.
Despite his fearsome looks, Benny is a gentle giant. He cares for the well-being of his comrades and has a soft spot for animals, usually hanging out alone in the woods. Benny appears to be reserved, as he usually speaks short sentences. However, it is revealed that he has difficulty conversing with others and usually creates awkward moments, especially with his son. It is also shown that he is slightly afraid of ghosts. Benny expresses pride in his son and even gets emotional when Ignatius tells him that he would not have any other person for a father.
Due to Benny's intimidating appearance, it often creates ill (and usually exaggerated) rumors about him, which often causes curious people to ask him if he had ever performed such feats. Although he usually ignores them, he sometimes feels hurt from them.
|Lance - C||Steel Lance (Conquest only)|
Iron Lance (Revelation only)
As an EnemyEdit
Birthright Chapter 14 - Light ScattersEdit
|15||31||19 (?)||0||15||8 (?)||12||19||10||-|
|Lance - C||Beast Killer (Dropped)|
|15||31||19 (?)||0||15||8 (?)||12||19||10||-|
|Lance - C||Beast Killer (Dropped)|
- In Guard Stance with Charlotte, stats shown are resultant stats
Xenologue 20 - End: Lost in the WavesEdit
| Lance - A |
Axe - B
Max Stat ModifiersEdit
|Base Classes||Promoted Classes|
|Possible Candidates||Base Classes||Possible Promotions|
|Possible Candidates||Base Classes||Possible Promotions|
|Base Classes||Promoted Classes|
- See also: Benny/Supports
- Corrin (Female)
- Rinkah (Revelation only)
- Oboro (Revelation only)
- Corrin (Male)
- Hayato (Revelation only)
- Shigure (If Benny is his father)
- Kana (If Benny is his father)
Subjective: The following part of this article is based upon the editor's personal experiences and opinions, and therefore may not be applicable for all readers.
Benny serves as the traditional physical wall Knight compared to the offensive tank set up of fellow Knight, Effie. He has a solid HP and Defensive growth and a decent resistance growth the help him absorb would-be attempts at attacking his allies, making him great for choke points and one-tile alleyways. His only main flaw is an atrocious Speed growth, which makes it almost impossible for him to double. However, given his role as a defensive wall, it does not hinder him too much. Benny's personal skill is Fierce Mien, lowering the Avoid of enemies within 2 spaces by -10. Though it works for support purposes, this effectively gives Benny a free +10 hit, letting him wield many of the lower-accuracy Lances and a lot of Axes easier than other units. He starts off as a Knight and comes with its two skills, Defense +2 and Natural Cover. From this class, Benny can promote either into a General or a Great Knight. It is highly recommended to promote him into a General first, as Benny's poor Speed growths will result in him getting doubled by almost every other unit in-game.
From the General class, Benny can learn Wary Fighter and Pavise. Wary Fighter is an absolute must-have, since he will almost never double, but his enemies can easily double him without this skill. His already strong Defense makes Pavise a little redundant, but the more damage that can be shaved off of him, the better.
From the Great Knight class, Benny will learn his only offensive skill from his base classes, Luna. He can also learn Armored Blow to have him tank incoming physical attacks even better. Combined with Pavise and high Defense growths, Benny should be taking very little physical damage overall.
Benny's secondary class is the Fighter class set. From the Fighter class, Benny can learn HP +5 to be able to endure more attacks if needed. He can also learn Gamble to increase his critical hit rates, although it will drop his Hit by 10. However, due to his personal skill, this accuracy loss is negated and allows Benny to have normal accuracy with the critical hit bonus.
From the Fighter class, Benny can promote to either Berserker or Hero classes. From the Berserker class, Benny will enjoy a +15% critical hit rate bonus, but suffers from having the growths of a tank in a glass cannon class. The most important skill from this class is Axefaire, as unless he gets an A+ Support with Hayato in Revelation or uses a Partner Seal, all of Benny's promoted classes can wield axes in combat. From the Hero class, Benny can learn Sol to recover lost HP and Axebreaker to better deal with enemy axe users.
Benny has only one additional class set, and this is derived from Hayato, who is only available on the Revelation route. Arthur and Keaton provide no new classes to him, but he can bestow them his Knight class; as such, it's best to initiate A+ support from their side only.
- Hayato - Hayato offers Benny the Diviner class set and its promotions the Onmyoji and Basara classes. Benny cannot take advantage of the Onmyoji class as his poor Magic prevents him from using it. However, Benny can take advantage of the Basara class, as he is not forcefully limited to using tomes and can use Lances in combat. From this class, Benny can learn Rend Heaven to deal with high-Strength foes and Quixotic. Although most enemies will already have a high hit chance on him due to his low Speed, Benny's high Defense ensures that these attacks will often deal little damage. It will also increase his activation rate of Luna/Rend Heaven, although he should be wary of fighting opponents that also have offensive skills on them.
- Female Corrin - Corrin's secondary class will determine what class Benny can access if he marries her. Due to Benny's defensive build, secondary classes like the Monk or Oni Savage can allow Benny to learn from its promoted forms, the Great Master and Oni Chieftain, Countermagic and Counter respectively to make Benny even more dangerous by making him an extremely formidable wall. Renewal will also provide a form of HP recovery outside of Sol.
- Azura - Azura offers Benny the Sky Knight promotion and its promotions, Falcon Knight and Kinshi Knight. Benny makes an odd Sky Knight due to his low speed and resistance but high strength. His proficiency with lances will carry over, and the class line can sacrifice some defenses in order to allow Benny's offensive stats to shine. Darting Blow, the first skill from the Sky Knight, will help offset Benny's poor speed when attacking, although he will likely be better served by Wary Fighter which will ensure he does not take too much damage. Camaraderie, however, is a very useful skill regardless of whether Benny stays in an offensive or defensive role, as it will let him last longer; combined with his high defense and HP growths, it will help him become an extremely potent defensive unit. While Falcon Knight is a poor choice to remain in very long due to his abysmal magic, some of the skills can help him out in other classes. Rally Speed gives Benny some option to support other units, while Warding Blow lets him take out magic users and shore up his moderate resistance. Kinshi Knight is a slightly better choice to remain in, but his low speed and resistance will still hinder him. However, the skills from the class can be useful. Air Superiority allows him to counter flying units more easily, which tend to be very common in later chapters in the Conquest route. Combined with Wary Fighter, Benny will turn into an effective anti-flyer unit. Amaterasu is a powerful skill since Benny is a good front-line unit, allowing him to support his allies and increase their own longevity.
- Peri - Peri offers Benny the Cavalier base class set. Since one of the Knight's promotion options is the Great Knight class, Benny can learn skills from the Cavalier and Paladin classes. From the Cavalier class, Benny can learn Elbow Room to deal more damage out in plain tiles and Shelter to grab any stray allied units in the attack range of the enemy. From the Paladin class, Benny can learn Defender to increase all of his stats when paired, although this will wear out over time. He can also learn Aegis and will combine well with his Pavise to have him shave damage from all sources of attack.
- Elise, Effie, and Felicia - Elise, Effie, and Felicia all offer Benny the Troubadour base class set. From this class set Benny can use Resistance +2 to help patch up his lackluster resistance but this should be swapped out for better skills later on and Gentilhomme to help reduce damage to any nearby female units. From the Strategist class Benny can learn Rally Resistance which is pointless unless one desires to use him as rally unit and Inspiration for a better overall support skill than Gentilhomme. From the Butler class Benny can learn Live to Serve which is unfitting on him given his nonexistent Magic growths. Tomebreaker on the other hand can help make up for his poor Resistance by giving him a Hit Rate/Evasion boost when an enemy is holding a tome.
- Oboro - Oboro offers Benny the Spear Fighter base class set. From this class, Benny can benefit off Seal Defense to weaken an opponent's defense for others to take advantage of. From this class, Benny can promote into the Spear Master or Basara classes. Since Keaton and Arthur do not give Benny any new classes and Hayato already provides Basara from the Diviner class, Benny should be expected to have an A+ Support with Hayato. Regardless, Benny can still take advantage of the Spear Master's skill set. Seal Speed allows him to weaken an agile foe, mostly working for supporting other units to weaken the targeted enemy as Benny should usually sport Wary Fighter and his personal skill lowering their avoid. Lancefaire will work well due to the Berserker's Axefaire skill and the fact that his Conquest class sets make heavy use of both lances and axes, though if choosing only one faire then both promotions of his base class can A rank in lances, this skill maximizing his potency with said weapons.
- Mozu - Mozu gives Benny the Archer classed its promotions, Sniper and Kinshi Knight. Benny makes a strong, if atypical Archer; while he has very strong strength and skill growths, his speed growth is abysmal and so he will he difficulty double attacking or dodging attacks. From the Archer he gets Skill +2 which is unneeded due to his strong skill growths and Quick Draw which can help him more consistently kill enemies, as he will be heavily reliant on one attack since he is unlikely to double attack so extra damage will be beneficial. From the Sniper, Benny will get Certain Blow, which unless using Gamble from the Fighter line, will likely be unnecessary. Bowfaire only benefits him if remaining in a bow-using class, which is not where he is not advised to remain. Information about the Kinshi Knight can be found in Azura's partner profile.
- Camilla & Beruka - Camilla and Beruka both give Benny the Wyvern Rider class, which he fits well into due to his high strength and defense, as well as being another axe-using class he has access to. The Wyvern Rider skills, Strength +2 and Lunge can be useful, although Strength +2 will see its usefulness wear off quickly. Lunge, however, can be an interesting option, and if using Lunge into a group of weapon-wielders his strong defense and HP will give him a fighting chance to survive. Wyvern Lord continues to hone Benny's main strengths even further, giving him back his lances and doubling down on his strength and defense growths. However, the skills he gains from the class are not as useful as many of the other skills he can learn. Rally Defense gives him some support options, but if remaining in Wyvern Lord he will serve better as an offensive unit than as support. Swordbreaker can have some use, particularly against enemies with Wyrmslayers. The skill can also be helpful in the later routes of Conquest against very very fast and agile Swordmasters, but his high defense along with Wary Fighter can also work to block their attacks. Benny will be very ineffective with tomes as a Malig Knight, but if wishing to use Benny for a front-line offensive unit, both skills will serve him well. Savage Blow is a solid choice when going on the offensive, as it allows him to gradually chip away at surrounding units. Trample is especially powerful in Conquest, where mounted enemies are rare, and can be beneficial in Revelation as well since there are still plenty of non-mounted units to attack
- Nyx - Nyx gives Benny the Dark Mage class, which Benny will struggle in due to his terrible magic growth. However, some skills can be worth getting from the class and its promotions. Heartseeker can be useful against particularly fast units, but Benny's high skill means that it will be unnecessary against average or slow units. Malefic Aura will help Benny level in the class and can be used as a support option to help allied mages deal more damage. The Sorcerer class is a very poor option to stay in, but the class' skills can help him regardless of where he ends up. Vengeance allows Benny to become a more potent offensive unit, since his high HP and skill means that he will activate it often and allow him to add a lot of damage without worrying too much about becoming close to death. Bowbreaker is not particularly useful, as Benny has no options to become a flier if married to Nyx and his high defensive stats means that bow users will not be particularly worrisome to him. If becoming a Dark Knight, Benny will have a much easier time leveling due to his ability to use swords, although will need to start from an E rank. Seal Magic helps Benny become even more potent as a defensive unit; his high defense will block many physical attacks, while Seal Magic will let him even the odds against magic users. Lifetaker is very powerful for either an offensive or defensive Benny, as while he will likely not double attack, his high strength lets him score killing blows against injured or low-defense enemies and replenish his high HP.
- Selena - Marrying Selena will give Benny access to the Mercenary class, which he fill perform well in due to his high strength and skill. Good Fortune will give him some healing ability, and while his luck is not superb, it is good enough to be worth taking if needed. Strong Riposte is a good option on Benny since he will often be on the front lines and therefore a target for enemy attacks, allowing him to take out more enemies or inflict harder wounds during the enemy phase. The only new promotion Benny will gain access to is Bow Knight, which has some good options for him. Offensively he will not be as potent as some other Bow Knight options due to his low speed, but will be stronger than many other options. Rally Skill can be useful for him to support his allies, but Shurikenbreaker will be the main reason to spend time in this class; Benny's natural preference for axes and high defense, combined with Shurikenbreaker, will make him invaluable against shrunken-wielders which are incredibly common in the later chapters of Conquest.
- Rinkah - Benny will feel right at home in Rinkah's Oni Savage class, which will let him use his high strength and defense. In terms of skills, Seal Resistance will not be very beneficial to him but allow him to support any magic-using allies, while Shove can move frail or wounded units out of danger. If classing into an Oni Chieftain, Benny's terrible magic growths will restrict him to clubs, although he will still be very offensively potent and give him access to some very powerful skills. Death Blow synergies very well with his secondary Fighter class, and combining Death Blow with Gamble will make him extremely deadly when attacking. Counter lets him become even more powerful against physical attackers which he already does well against, and allows him to soften them up before fighting back. Blacksmith allows Benny to take advantage of high good skill and HP stats, although his strength growths will not be as high when compared to the Oni Chieftain. Salvage Blow is not particularly useful, as Benny will only be able to use this class in Revelation, where money and resources are much more readily available than in Conquest. However, Lancebreaker can let him become even stronger against lance and naginata users, which will serve him well due to his wide array of axe-using classes.
Refer to Benny/Quotes.
Benny - Gentle Giant (強面の重騎士, Scary-faced Heavy Knight)
- Benny returned to his hometown village and was assigned to train new soldiers in combat. He never reported for duty. Instead, he lived out his days in the forest, frolicking with his animal friends.
- Benny and Corrin (Conquest)
- Benny was assigned to train new soldiers but soon retired to live in the forest with his animal friends. Corrin was hailed as a hero, working alongside her spouse to spread peace worldwide.
- Benny and Corrin (Revelation)
- The two spent the rest of their lives together, Corrin ruling as the wise queen of Valla. The people of Valla were initially terrified of Benny, but tales of his kindness soon became widespread.
- Benny and Azura
- Benny was assigned to train new soldiers but soon retired to live in the forest with his animal friends. There are few records of Azura beyond her marriage. She remains a historical mystery.
- Benny and Beruka
- Benny was assigned to train new soldiers but soon retired to live in the forest with his animal friends. Beruka was torn about leaving Camilla but enjoyed having enough emotions for them to conflict.
- Benny and Camilla
- Benny was assigned to train new soldiers but soon retired to live in the forest with his animal friends. His wife, Camilla, gave up her royal title and spent her days at home doting on her family.
- Benny and Charlotte
- Benny was assigned to train new soldiers but soon retired to live in the forest with his animal friends. Records show his wife, Charlotte, was a caring wife and mother, and they had a happy family life.
- Benny and Effie
- Benny was assigned to train new soldiers but soon retired to live in the forest with his animal friends. Effie retired after getting married, but she and Elise remained best friends for the rest of their lives.
- Benny and Elise
- Benny was assigned to train new soldiers but soon retired to live in the forest with his animal friends. His wife, Elise, grew out of her childish ways into a talented healer of extraordinary compassion.
- Benny and Felicia
- Benny was assigned to train new soldiers but soon retired to live in the forest with his animal friends. Felicia gave up her career in the service industry for the military, ultimately becoming a commander.
- Benny and Mozu
- Benny was assigned to train new soldiers but soon retired to live in the forest with his animal friends. His wife, Mozu, meanwhile, was a constant source of support and a humanitarian in her own right.
- Benny and Nyx
- Benny was assigned to train new soldiers but soon retired to live in the forest with his animal friends. His wife, Nyx, was indispensable with her vast experience and magic abilities.
- Benny and Oboro
- Benny was assigned to train new soldiers but soon retired to live in the forest with his animal friends. His wife, Oboro, worked hard and eventually was able to reopen her late parents' tailor shop.
- Benny and Peri
- Benny was assigned to train new soldiers but soon retired to live in the forest with his animal friends. Peri eventually learned the difference between right and wrong. It took a while.
- Benny and Rinkah
- Benny was assigned to train new soldiers but soon retired to live in the forest with his animal friends. Rinkah's fiery personality ensured her husband's life was not boring and they loved one another well.
- Benny and Selena
- Benny was assigned to train new soldiers but soon retired to live in the forest with his animal friends. After marrying, he and his wife, Selena, disappeared from records. They likely lived happily ever after.
Benny is illustrated in the trading card game Fire Emblem Cipher with the following cards:
Benny can be a diminutive of names such as Benoît, Benjamin, Benedict, and Bernard.
Benoît is a Catholic French male given name. The name is the Old French word for "blessed" and is the equivalent of Benedict.
- Benny shares his English voice actor, Imari Williams, with Fuga and Valter.
- Benny was voted as the 13th most popular male character on Nintendo's official Fates character poll.
- Benny shares the critical hit quote, "Here goes nothing!" with Felicia and Sakura.
- Benny shares his English ending title, Gentle Giant, with Draug's English endings from Shadow Dragon and New Mystery of the Emblem.