The Bishop (司祭, Shisai) is a combat and support magical class that recurrently appears across the Fire Emblem Series, beginning from Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light. The traditional promoted form of the Priest, Monk and Cleric classes, the Bishop class usually wields Light magic as its primary weapon of choice, and is also armed with Staves for support purposes. Bishops are commonly characterized by high Magic, Luck and Resistance that is offset by low Defense.
- 1 History in the Series
- 2 In-Game
- 3 Notable Bishops
- 3.1 Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light
- 3.2 Mystery of the Emblem
- 3.3 Genealogy of the Holy War
- 3.4 Thracia 776
- 3.5 TearRing Saga: Utna Heroes Saga
- 3.6 The Binding Blade
- 3.7 The Blazing Blade
- 3.8 The Sacred Stones
- 3.9 Path of Radiance
- 3.10 Radiant Dawn
- 3.11 New Mystery of the Emblem
- 3.12 Three Houses
- 3.13 Vestaria Saga I
- 3.14 Vestaria Saga: The Holy Sword of Silvanister
- 4 Trivia
- 5 Gallery
History in the Series
In Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light and its direct sequel Mystery of the Emblem, both the Mage and Priest/Cleric classes promote into the Bishop class. The Sage class, the traditional promotion of the Mage, would not be introduced until Gaiden and not established as the staple promoted class for the Mage until the onset of Thracia 776.
In TearRing Saga: Utna Heroes Saga, Bishop is a standalone class that is near enemy-exclusive; Lee is the only playable Bishop. The Bishop class has higher stats then most staff using classes and wields the anima triangle. The Bishop class, alongside the Dark Bishop class, is noteworthy for being the only common magic class that can use both offensive magic and staves.
The Bishop returns as the staple promoted form of both Priests and Clerics in The Binding Blade and its prequel The Blazing Blade, now wielding Light magic as their offensive weapon. In the latter game, the Light-wielding Monk also promotes into this class.
In The Sacred Stones, Bishops are a promotion option for Monks, Priests and Clerics; opposite the Sage class for Monks and Priests, and the horse-mounted Valkyrie class for Clerics. They are in possession of the class skill Slayer, allowing them to inflict effective damage against monsters.
In Path of Radiance and its sequel Radiant Dawn, the Bishop class is the sole promoted form of the Priest class. In Radiant Dawn, the Bishop (司祭 Bishoppu) is able to further promote into the Saint class.
The Bishop class makes a return in Fire Emblem: Three Houses, using Faith magic as their main ability. Bishops have the ability to use every White Magic spell twice the normal number of times per battle. They also add an extra ten points to the power of all of their healing spells. Like all magic classes, the Bishop can use any Black or Dark magic spells they have learned from their Reason skill, but do not receive any bonuses.
In Vestaria Saga I, the Bishop is known as the High Priest/Priestess. The class wields Staves and Light Magic.
- ★ - FE10 SP Class.
|FE3 (Merric)||22||4||-||4||5||0||3||7||6||-||-||Tome/Staff 5|
|FE4||35||0||10||8||5||0||3||8||5||-||-||B B B A|
|FE5||20||0||5||2||2||0||1||-||5||4||-||C C C C|
|FE10 ★||32||11||19||16||16||0||10||20||6||10||10||C A|
|FE4||80||15||25||23||20||30||18||23||5||-||-||B B B A|
|FE5||80||20||20||20||20||20||20||-||20||20||-||A A A A|
|FE10 ★||48||23||33||27||27||35||20||38||6||10||10||SS S|
|FE8||Slayer||Class skill of the Bishop class.|
|Class skill of the Bishop class.|
Occult skill of the Bishop and Sage classes; assign with an Occult Scroll.
|FE10||Shove||Base skill of all foot units.|
|FE16||White Magic Uses x2|
White Magic Heal +10
|Class ability of the Bishop class.|
Class ability of the Bishop class.
Class ability of the Bishop class.
Mastery ability of Bishops
|Base Class||Promotion Method||Promoted Class|
|FE1||Curate||Use a Bishop Ring on a Level 10+ Priest.||Bishop|
|FE1||Mage||Use a Bishop Ring on a Level 10+ Mage.||Bishop|
|FE3||Sister||Use a Bishop Ring on a Level 10+ Sister.||Bishop|
|FE3||Mage||Use a Bishop Ring on a Level 10+ Mage.||Bishop|
|FE6||Priest||Use a Guiding Ring on a Level 10+ Priest.||Bishop|
|FE7||Cleric||Use a Guiding Ring on a Level 10+ Cleric.||Bishop|
|FE7||Monk||Use a Guiding Ring on a Level 10+ Monk.||Bishop|
|FE8||Priest||Use a Guiding Ring on a Level 10+ Priest.||Bishop|
|FE8||Cleric||Use a Guiding Ring on a Level 10+ Cleric.||Bishop|
|FE8||Monk||Use a Guiding Ring on a Level 10+ Monk.||Bishop|
|Use a Master Seal on a Level 10+ Priest.|
|Use a Master Seal on a Level 10+ Priest or train a Priest to Level 21.|
|Use a Master Crown on a Level 10+ Bishop or train a Bishop to Level 21.|
|FE11||Curate||Use a Master Seal on a Level 10+ Priest.||Bishop|
|FE11||Cleric||Use a Master Seal on a Level 10+ Cleric.||Bishop|
|FE12||Curate||Use a Master Seal on a Level 10+ Priest.||Bishop|
|FE12||Cleric||Use a Master Seal on a Level 10+ Cleric.||Bishop|
|FE16||Any class||Use an Advanced Seal on a Level 20+ unit and pass the Bishop Certification Exam.||Bishop|
- Wendell - A sage of Khadein who disdains fighting.
- Boah - A Bishop in the service of Archanea.
- Gotoh - A Divine Dragon manakete who assumes the form of a Bishop of great renown.
- Gharnef - A former star pupil of Gotoh who is led astray by the influence of the Darksphere.
- Volzhin - A Bishop of Dolhr.
- Malledus - Marth's tactician.
- Promotion for: Wrys, Lena, Merric, Linde, Elice and Maria.
- Yodel - A Khadein Bishop serving under Arlen.
- Willow - A Bishop serving under Hardin.
- Nyna - The wife of Hardin and queen of Archanea.
- Lena - The Macedonian priestess, Matthis's sister and Julian's love interest.
- Elice - The elder sister of Marth and the princess of Altea.
- Maria - The youngest sister of Minerva and Michalis and princess of Macedon.
- Promotion for: Marisha, Yuliya, Arlen and Linde.
- Clement - The cunning but fair lord of Agustria.
- Cuvuli - Silesian Commander in Maios's army.
- Equus - One of the twelve Deadlords.
- Yoder - A high ranking member of the St. Elimine Church.
- Oro - A cruel and egotistical Bishop assigned to supervise a mine in Mt. Eburacum.
- Windham - A Bishop assigned to control the Tower of the Saint in the outskirts of Aquleia.
- Martel - A Bishop who captures Niime and attempts to force her into cursing Roy's army.
- Promotion for: Saul and Elen.
- Renault - A mysterious bishop revealed to be a former mercenary who worked with Nergal and killed Lucius's parents.
- Kenneth - The Shrike of the Black Fang and one of the two possible boss of Pale Flower of Darkness.
- Promotion for: Serra and Lucius.
- Riev - A sinister Bishop who is excommunicated from Rausten and one of the six generals of Grado, known as the Blood Beryl.
- Promotion for: Artur, Moulder and Natasha.
- Oliver - Duke of Tanas, he purchases Reyson from a smuggler.
- Sephiran - Begnion's Prime Minister and the Black Knight's true master.
- Tomenami - Father Superior of Palmeni Temple.
- Promotion for: Rhys.
- Rhys - The healer of the Greil Mercenaries.
- Numida - A high-ranking Begnion senator responsible for ruling Daein following the Crimean victory in the Mad King's War.
- Valtome - A member of the Begnion Senate who takes over the control of the Begnion Central Army.
- Seliora - A member of the Begnion Senate who plots against Sanaki.
- Promotion for: Laura.
- Gloucester - One of the Ten Elites, original bearer of the Crest of Gloucester, and founder of House Gloucester, making Gloucester Lorenz's distant ancestor.
- Siegfried - A travelling priest whose behaviour is...difficult to explain.
- Abbot Melvon - The abbot of a Redessian monastery. He and Zade's father were very close.
- Promotion for: Lilia.
Vestaria Saga: The Holy Sword of Silvanister
- Lilia - A diligent priestess in the service of the Lanna Sanctum.
- Between The Sacred Stones and The Blazing Blade, Bishops employ different healing animations. In The Blazing Blade, Bishops hold up their staves at a slight tilt while in The Sacred Stones, Bishops simply use their attacking animation as a healing animation, holding the bottom of the staff towards the target.
- In TearRing Saga, Bishops are the only class in the priest category of units able to wield weapons to attack as Dark Bishops are in the mage category.
- Saints and Bishops share the same stat bases and caps in TearRing Saga.