Depending on the title that the Bow Knight class appears in, it acts as a first, second or third-tier class. Primarily armed with Bows as its weapon of choice, the Bow Knight class is, in later installments, given the additional ability to wield Swords as its secondary weapon.
History in the SeriesEdit
In Gaiden and its remake Echoes: Shadows of Valentia, the Bow Knight class is the third-tier promotion of the Archer class family, possessing an attack range of 1~5. They are renowned for being especially useful for attacking most enemies without retaliation or when a unit requires protection due to their ability to hit enemy units from a considerable distance.
In the Tellius Series, Bow Knights are a first-tier class that promotes into either Paladins in Path of Radiance or Bow Paladins in Radiant Dawn. In Radiant Dawn, the Bow Knight class can further promote into the Silver Knight class after promoting into the Bow Paladin class.
In Awakening, the Bow Knight class is one of the possible promoted forms of both the Archer and Mercenary classes. This incarnation of the class is able to wield Swords alongside Bows, drawing inspiration from the Nomadic Trooper from The Binding Blade and The Blazing Blade, alongside the Ranger class from The Sacred Stones
In Three Houses, the Bow Knight is a class included in the Master Class curriculum, with the Bow Knight Certification exam requiring a unit to be Level 30 and to possess a C in Lances, and As in both Riding and Bows to pass. As such, it can be considered once more the promoted form of Snipers.
In Awakening, the Bow Knight class's mounted status improves their Movement for almost all skirmishes. Their increased Speed is handy for double attacking enemies and Rally Skill is a fairly good skill for increasing the activation chance of their allies' skills. Their added ability to wield Swords also affords them an advantage when engaging in close-ranged combat. Bowbreaker, conversely, is good for dealing with bow-wielding units such as Snipers, as they often carry the omnipresent threat of being armed with Killer Bows during Wi-Fi battles. Bow Knights also have decent Skill, allowing them to perform critical attacks more frequently than many other classes.
The Bow Knight class's stats in Fates are slightly altered as compared to the ones in Awakening; they have a slightly higher Resistance than Defense, effectively making them decent magic killers. Rather than having Bowbreaker (which is now learned by Sorcerers), Bow Knights learn Shurikenbreaker instead, allowing them to both hit and dodge shuriken/dagger wielders with ease.
|FE4||Re-Move||Hidden innate skill of all mounted and flying units.|
|FE10||Canto||Base skill of all mounted and flying units.|
|Learnt at Level 5.|
Learnt at Level 15.
|Learnt at Level 5 and above.|
Learnt at Level 15 and above.
|FE15||Bowrange +2||Class skill of the Bow Knight and Sniper classes.|
|Class ability of the Bow Knight class.|
Class ability of the Bow Knight class.
Class ability of all mounted and flying units.
Mastery ability of Bow Knights.
|Base Class||Promotion Method||Promoted Class|
|FE2||Sniper||Visit Shrine after reaching Level 10.||Bow Knight|
|FE4||Arch Knight||Choose the "Class Change" option in the Home Castle when the relevant unit reaches Level 20.||Bow Knight|
|FE5||Arch Knight||Use a Knight Proof on a Level 10+ Arch Knight.||Bow Knight|
|Use a Master Seal on a Level 10+ Bow Knight.|
|FE10||Bow Knight||Use a Master Seal on a Level 10+ Bow Knight or train a Bow Knight to Level 21.|
|FE13||Mercenary||Use a Master Seal on a Level 10+ Mercenary.||Bow Knight|
|FE13||Archer||Use a Master Seal on a Level 10+ Archer.||Bow Knight|
|FE14||Mercenary||Use a Master Seal on a Level 10+ Mercenary.||Bow Knight|
|FE14||Outlaw||Use a Master Seal on a Level 10+ Outlaw.||Bow Knight|
|FE15||Sniper||Visit Shrine after reaching Level 10.||Bow Knight|
|FE15||Bow Knight||Visit the Altar of the Marksman when the relevant unit reaches Level 20.||Oliphantier|
|FE16||Any class||Use a Master Seal on a Level 30+ unit and pass the Bow Knight Certification Exam.||Bow Knight|
Notable Bow KnightsEdit
- Gazelle- Boss of Chapter 3 in Alm's route.
- Mueller- Boss of Chapter 4 in Alm's route.
- Aurum- A member of the Duma Faithful.
- Argentum- A member of thte Duma Faithful.
- Possible promotion for: Python, Leon, Kliff*, Tobin*, Gray*, Atlas*, Saber**, Kamui**, Jesse** and Deen**.
* - If one of the villagers can promote into the Archer class in Fire Emblem Gaiden.
** - If one of the Mercenaries/Myrmidons can promote into the Dread Fighter class can promote back to Villager if able to promote into the Archer class.
- Andorey - The Duke of Jungby in the first generation, he killed his father to usurp the position.
- Promotion for: Midayle, Lester and Deimne.
- Ezra - A kidnapper and slave trader who attempts to abduct Noire.
- Bovis - One of the twelve Deadlords.
- Possible promotion for: Virion, Gregor, Inigo, Severa and Noire.
- Easily accessible promotion for: Bernadetta, Leonie, and Cyril
- Accessible promotion for: Dimitri, Hubert, Ferdinand, Ashe, Ingrid, Lorenz, Marianne, Hanneman, Gilbert, Shamir, and Jeritza.
- Riegan: One of the Ten Elites, original bearer of the Crest of Riegan, and founder of House Riegan.
- In the opening cutscene in Fates, Bow Knights can be seen but only as unmounted units while in-game they are mounted units.
- Although Nomadic Troopers became Rangers from The Blazing Blade to The Sacred Stones, losing their Sacaen/Nomadic looks, Myrmidons and Swordmasters, who were also Sacaen, stayed the exact same.