Danger in the Dark is the fourth chapter of the Cindered Shadows side story for Fire Emblem: Three Houses.
Story[edit | edit source]
Having successfully retrieved the Chalice of Beginnings, the Ashen Wolves and the Officers Academy students regroup back in the tunnels under Garreg Mach, but they are pursued by another golem. Hapi thinks they should just throw the chalice back to it and be done with it, but the others don't want to back out after getting so far. Yuri has a plan to use the heavy gates in Abyss to stop their pursuers. While running through the underground, opening and closing the gates behind them, bandits appear in front of their path and demand them to hand over the treasure. Constance wonders just how much information these bandits have.
Back to safety in Abyss, two residents ask the Ashen Wolves where they've been at a time like this, and tell them that Aelfric has been abducted. Yuri orders the residents to alert the church and the Knights of Seiros to the matter, as things have gotten too out of hand for them to try to cover up. Hapi and Linhardt find a ransom note in the Ashen Wolves classroom, telling the team to meet at the ruins of the old chapel with the chalice, or Cardinal Aelfric's life will be forfeit. Aelfric being a Cardinal of the Church of Seiros comes as a surprise, as the identities of the cardinals is kept top secret. Constance wonders how the enemy could know they were after the chalice, and they all come to the conclusion that there is a traitor in Abyss.
While discussing their next plan of action, Alois arrives with a few of the Knights of Seiros to lend their aid. He laments that he cannot do much more, as most of the knights are out dealing with the Western Church, but that he will do whatever he can to help. They fill Alois in on the details that they have about the chalice and the enemy's aim, and he tells them he must report this to Lady Rhea at once.
Initial enemies[edit | edit source]
- Guardian Golem L31
- 5 Assassin L31 w/ Silver Sword
- 3 Dark Bishop L31 w/ Banshee, Miasma, Death
- 2 Warrior L31 w/ Silver Axe
- 2 Sniper L31 w/ Silver Bow
- 2 Fortress Knight L31 w/ Silver Axe
- 2 Swordmaster L31 w/ Silver Sword
- Wyvern Rider L31 w/ Silver Axe
Reinforcements[edit | edit source]
- As soon as you pass the first gate
- Guardian Golem L31 (It gain 4 Movement at the start of turn 10)
- Once all your units have passed the first gate, from the west
- 1 and 3 turns after that
- Once all your units have passed the first gate, from all around you
- Once you kill one of the enemies near the 2nd gate
- When your first unit passes the 2nd gate
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Subjective: The following part of this article is based upon the editor's personal experiences and opinions, and therefore may not be applicable for all readers.
This chapter has an defeat condition where any unit defeated will lead to failing the mission. This applies to Casual Mode as well. You have ten turns to get all units through the first gate. This is followed by a further ten to reach the target destination.
It is best not to dawdle on this chapter and have all units with short movement ranges at the front at all times. Mounted units like Constance, Hapi, Claude and Dimitri should be used to open the gates and enemies should only be confronted if they are in the way.
The chapter begins with a Golem behind the party and some enemies either side. The Golem is too powerful to be defeated, but it is slow so all units should be able to outrun it. Have a flying unit open the first gate and ignore the enemies to the west. Only the ones to the east and the south should be engaged. Once everyone has gotten past the first gate, it will close, leaving the enemies stranded. A new Golem will appear, and this one is also too powerful to defeat. However, it will only start moving when everyone has crossed the first boundary; this should give enough time for a mounted unit to get over to the switch that opens the way forward.
This section will also feature reinforcements from bandits. These are weak and count as a separate enemy faction from the phantom soldiers and will often engage the phantoms. However, they are also positioned in the way of the target destination meaning they will need to be engaged.
On the way to the second gate is a locked door that needs Yuri, Ashe or a door key to unlock. There are enemies on the other side though. After the second gate is cleared it is almost a straight shot to the goal. However, the turn limit is not extended after crossing this gate, unlike with the first one. Additionally there are enemies in the final room. These receive reinforcements every time someone crosses the second gate making it easy to get overwhelmed. Also note that this is not an escape map; everyone must be standing on one of the blue squares at the end of the map for it to count as mission clear.
On Hard[edit | edit source]
Rushing forward will not work as well here. Some notes to consider (before the first gate)
- The enemies to the east will never move unless any units enter their attack range. Try to avoid them if possible, as they will only waste further time.
- No enemies (besides the Golem) will become aggressive until a unit enters their group's attack range or until the lever to the gate is triggered, so use the time to gather your units in front of the gate.
- Constance is a good fit to pull the lever, as even if the Dark Mages attack her she will not take as much damage as any of your other mounted units (as well as the boost received from Transmute), as well as being able to use Canto to get back to the main party. If her movement is limited by Banshee, leave her in front of the door so a unit with Locktouch/Doorkey can let her back into the fray.
- The Golem cannot move if there are any units in the way of its maximum movement range, including enemy units. This can be taken advantage of when entering the room with the two Fortress Knights and Dark Mages, as most of the enemies will be trying to approach from that direction, to gain a little extra EXP. The golem will also never enter the room, giving the player some breathing room.
- The golem for the second part will not appear until one unit has gotten past the gate. It will not begin moving until the lever has been pulled, even if all of your units have not gotten past the gate (though this takes up a turn, giving some time to get away). Wait until the majority of your units have made it through the gate (and a Locktouch/Doorkey unit is within movement range of the door, preferably Yuri), then at the beginning of your next turn you can pull the lever and begin your approach to the next gate. Paladin Dimitri would be best used here, as he can regroup with the rest of your units the fastest thanks to his 8 movement range.
From here, you should have the majority of your units in the room behind the gate, all while the next room's Bandits haven't even appeared yet. On the way to the next gate:
- If Yuri was in place, he can run forward and potentially take out the Archer, retreat to an Avoid tile, and be essentially immortal to the rest of the enemies in the room, while also opening some leg room inside the room the rest of your units are in.
- The bottom left corner of the room will be in range of the Archer in the very bottom left corner of the map, so chipping the bandits to the immediate left of the room will require your own Archers and mounted magic users. This way, the Archer never becomes a problem.
- Try to avoid letting any enemies end their turns on the Avoid tiles, as they become much harder to handle compared to if they were to end their turn on any other special tile. Even the Fortress Knights can become a hassle as a result.
- Once you are ready to approach the final escape room, don't send all of your units through at once, as each one will trigger additional Bandit reinforcements. Trickle your units in a few at a time (first preferably being a unit who can take out the Pegasus Knights), and pick off the enemy who are closest to you. The later reinforcements will all spawn inside the escape room, so once they begin spawning in there it is safe to advance your entire army through the second gate. Once they are all through, you will only have 5 turns to complete the map.
From here, you can finish off the rest of the Bandits and get your remaining units to the escape room.