—Echidna in The Binding Blade
In the northeast side of Chapter 9 there are two villages. She is recruited only if a unit enters the village on the left or neither village is visited. Echidna is recruited when Larum talks to her. During the battle in Chapter 11, the Etrurian soldiers surround the house she is in and threaten to kill her if she does not surrender. In her supports, she attempts to gain recruits to help her in her plan to make a "free village", a village where people in the Western Isles who had their homes destroyed could settle after the war.
- See also: Echidna/Supports.
Subjective: The following part of this article is subjective to the editor's writing. Therefore, it may not work for everyone.
Echidna has one thing that the other potential Heroes lack: axe rank. Her C rank in swords also makes her a fair sword user, along with the ability to wield useful swords such as the Killing Edge and the Wyrmslayer, which was obtained last chapter, right off the bat. Also, Killer Axe is available in the Armory on her recruitment chapter, which can make her useful versus lance-wielding enemies in the next few chapters (e.g. chapter 13 Cavaliers). If you want to use her for the long run, she may need an Angelic Robe to improve her durability and become more effective in the frontlines. Her low Luck, average Strength and very low Resistance and Defense may be problematic, though. In all, she is a worthwhile prepromote to use as she has good offensive stats and can use a variety of good swords and axes, all of this without actually needing a lot of investment. While she may be a bit lacking in offensive potental, this can be fixed by getting her to S rank in Swords, which lets her use the Durandal, giving her some bonus strength. Her sub par defense can be fixed with Armads, and getting her to S rank axes is very easy because of her B rank at er join time.
- Echidna - Goddess of the West (西方の女神 Seihō no megami)
- "After went back home to the Western Isles, the people were overjoyed at the return of their hero. She left the rebel group, but the people begged her to be their leader once again. Her hard work united the Western Isles into a new nation, the Western Union."
—Echidna's death quote in The Binding Blade
Echidna is illustrated in the trading card game Fire Emblem Cipher with the following cards:
In Greek mythology Echidna was a female monster who spawned in a cave and mothered every major horrible monster in the myths. "Echidna" also refers to a species of monotreme native to Australia, noted for the thick wave of spines on its back.
- According to a Japanese gaming news website, Echidna landed 34th place out of 80 in the character popularity poll for Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade.
- Echidna, Raven, and Linus are usually said to be the only characters in any GBA Fire Emblem games to have unique battle sprites as the Hero Class. This is technically wrong however, since Echidna's battle sprite is the same as a generic female hero. Since Echidna is the only female hero in the Gameboy Advance trilogy however, it's not entirely wrong.