- Not to be confused with Gatekeepers, a type of enemy from Fire Emblem Warriors.
—The Gatekeeper's usual greeting to Byleth.
The unnamed gatekeeper is a non-playable character from Fire Emblem: Three Houses.
Profile[edit | edit source]
As his title suggests, the gatekeeper dutifully watches over the entrance to Garreg Mach Monastery where he can usually be found when Byleth chooses to explore the monastery on a free day. When talked to, the Gatekeeper greets Byleth and talks of current/upcoming events. During Chapter 9, speaking to the gatekeeper lets Byleth choose the student they will see at the Goddess Tower, so long as they have a B-support (or C-support on some students) with said student. Ignoring the gatekeeper will choose a student at random.
Even after the five-year timeskip, the gatekeeper returns and resumes his post when the monastery reopens. However, in the Crimson Flower route, his unnamed brother takes his post as said brother is less devout to the Church of Seiros than the gatekeeper during the Academy Phase. Nonetheless, even his brother who is also referred to as "gatekeeper" greets and converses with Byleth in a similar fashion.
Personality[edit | edit source]
The gatekeeper's dialogues are often comical in nature and play upon the idea that he's actually rather unobservant and inept at his job despite his enthusiasm towards it. No matter the situation, he almost always has nothing to report despite what events may be occurring on the monastery grounds during a given month.
He also enjoys fishing and holds the Knights of Seiros, particularly the Relic-wielding Catherine, in high regard. But he is afraid of the Death Knight and Judith. Gatekeeper is also well-versed on the history and culture of Fodlan and is more than happy to divulge information.
He is shown to be quite emotional and looking for love during the Academy Arc, and longs to visit Deirdru and Fhirdiad on holiday after the end of the war. The gatekeeper is known to be a quite the fan of strawberry cheesecake and other strawberry sweets.
Non-Canon Appearances[edit | edit source]
The gatekeeper makes a cameo appearance on the Garreg Mach Monastery stage as a background NPC on the Marketplace portion of the stage.
The gatekeeper is illustrated in the trading card game Fire Emblem Cipher with the following cards:
Etymology[edit | edit source]
Gatekeepers are a type of provision that authorizes access to a distinct location, most often a city gate.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- During Chapter 15 of the Silver Snow or Verdant Wind routes, Dorothea pretends to be the gatekeeper when Byleth speaks to her.
- Byleth and Constance's S-Support has the gatekeeper use the same voice lines in all four routes, even though in the Crimson Flower route the gatekeeper should be replaced by his brother, who sounds somewhat different.
- In the Cindered Shadows side story, there is a similar character known as the Abysskeeper who guards the entrance to Abyss.
- Kyle McCarley, the gatekeeper's English voice actor, previously voiced Alm in Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia, as well as Alm and Soren in Fire Emblem Heroes.
- Gatekeeper is the first non-combat NPC to win a Choose Your Legends ballot, coming in first among the male characters, as well as first overall, with 72,267 votes, as announced on February 1, 2021.