The Holy Kingdom of Faerghus (ファーガス神聖王国 Fāgasu-shinseiōkoku) is one of three nations on the continent of Fódlan.
Profile[edit | edit source]
The Holy Kingdom of Faerghus lies in the north of Fódlan, a cold, rugged land that has forced its people to adapt. It is ruled by the royal House Blaiddyd and a number of knightly orders. The nation was founded by Loog, the legendary King of Lions. Its capital city is Fhirdiad, which is also home to a prestigious school of sorcery. Holy Kingdom of Faerghus Founding Day is celebrated annually on the 21st of the Red Wolf Moon.
Garreg Mach Monastery in central Fódlan organizes its students into three houses, with each house representing a different nation. Students from the Holy Kingdom of Faerghus are members of the Blue Lions.
Military[edit | edit source]
The Kingdom's military is disciplined and instilled with a strong sense of chivalry and duty. The Kingdom army is known to rely on its knights, with House Gaspard and Gautier renowned for their cavalry while Galatea was famed for their pegasus.
Culture[edit | edit source]
Due to the harsh environment, children are trained to wield a weapon before they are taught to read and write. Since it was founded thanks to mediation from the Church of Seiros, the country's royal family and most nobles are both pious and enduring supporters of the church. As such, Dimitri readily grants Rhea and the knights of Seiros asylum after the Empire attacks the monastery in the Black Eagles route, and even fights the Empire's troops to the death to protect the archbishop.
History[edit | edit source]
Originally, the Holy Kingdom of Faerghus was part of the Adrestian Empire. In Imperial Year 747, Loog of House Blaiddyd, a direct descendant of one of the Ten Elites of the War of Heroes, led Faerghus in rebellion against the Adrestian Empire in the War of the Eagle and Lion. Loog claimed victory in 751, after defeating the Emperor at the Tailtean Plains. The Church of Seiros mediated between Faerghus and the Empire, resulting in the creation of the Holy Kingdom of Faerghus and Loog being crowned its first king.
In 801, the Leicester region also rebelled against the Empire, which was unable to reassert control. The Kingdom intervened by occupying and annexing Leicester as a protectorate. In 861, the three sons of the late King Klaus I divided the Kingdom into three archduchies: the Eastern Kingdom, the Western Kingdom, and Leicester. In 881, upon the death of Leicester's archduke, the nobles of Leicester rejected his heir and launched a second bid for independence upon the instigation of House Riegan, a cadet branch of the Blaiddyd royal family. The resulting Crescent Moon War ended in 901 with the nobles of Leicester seceding from Faerghus to form the Leicester Alliance.
Around 1160, a plague ravaged the nation and the Queen Consort died shortly after giving birth to Crown Prince Dimitri in 1162. The mage Cornelia gained influence within the royal court after stopping the outbreak. Around 1168, King Lambert, accompanied by his trusted advisor Rodrigue, invaded Sreng and annexed the southern half of the region after the campaign's success. During the Insurrection of the Seven, Patricia von Arundel, the wife of Emperor Ionius IX of the Adrestian Empire, was betrothed to Lambert and did not return to the Empire when her daughter Edelgard departed Faerghus in 1174. Two years later, numerous nobles and royals, including King Lambert, Queen Consort Patricia, and Glenn, Rodrigue's firstborn son, were assassinated; only Dimitri survived. The people of Duscur were blamed for the attack and persecuted for regicide in what became known as the Tragedy of Duscur. The late king's brother, Grand Duke Rufus of Itha, assumed regency over the Kingdom in Dimitri's stead. In 1178, Dimitri distinguished himself by quelling a rebellion in the Kingdom's west. The Grand Duke's reign has led to a period of decline throughout the Kingdom. The nation is plagued by civil strife and hardship, rumors suggest the deterioration in governance is a result of the Regent's womanizing.
Possible futures[edit | edit source]
"Just a minute! The following section contains spoilers, viewing it will cost a lot. Are you prepared to pay for it?"
If any routes other than the Black Eagles were chosen, a bloody coup led by Cornelia causes Duke Rufus and Dimitri both to be apparently killed. With the vast majority of the former Kingdom lords having bent the knee to the overwhelming power of the Empire, all Blaiddyd territory, including the Kingdom capital, is ruled by those who are cooperating with the Empire, and is thus renamed the Faerghus Dukedom. Houses Fraldarius and Gautier were left to spearhead the resistance as the primary opponents of the Dukedom.
If the Blue Lions were chosen, after retaking the monastery to use as a base of operations, Dimitri and his allies launched a campaign against Adrestia by taking the Great Bridge of Myrddin on the Imperial-Alliance border to use as a foothold. After a brutal three-way battle between Adrestia, Faerghus, and Leicester known as the Battle at Gronder, Dimitri doubled back to Fhirdiad and liberated it from the Dukedom. He then helped Leicester drive Imperial forces out of the Alliance capital of Derdriu; Now-Alliance leader Claude disbanded the Alliance and ceded its territories back to the Kingdom. Dimitri conquered Fort Merceus and made an unsuccessful attempt to sue for peace with Edelgard. He then invaded Enbarr and slew Edelgard, bringing an end to the war and the Empire; Fódlan was finally reunited under the rule of Dimitri and the Kingdom.
If either the Golden Deer or the Black Eagles were chosen, and Byleth sided with the Church upon learning of Edelgard's desire to overthrow it, Dimitri went into hiding in Fraldarius territory and raised an army to attack the Empire. He was defeated and slain in the Battle at Gronder, and Faerghus effectively ceased to exist after his death; its territories were absorbed by the nascent United Kingdom of Fódlan after the war's end.
If the Black Eagles were chosen and Byleth sided with Edelgard upon learning of her desire to overthrow the Church, Dimitri returned to the Kingdom and was formally crowned king. He sided with the Church in their conflict with Adrestia and gave Archbishop Rhea and the Knights of Seiros asylum in Fhirdiad. Over the next five years, he remained locked in a bitter stalemate with Adrestia. When Byleth awoke from their coma, the war shifted decisively in Adrestia's favor. After defeating and annexing the Alliance, Edelgard and Byleth invaded Faerghus at the beginning of 1186. Dimitri intercepted them at the Tailtean Plains, but was defeated and killed. With his death, Rhea became the de facto head of state of Faerghus; she retreated to Fhirdiad and made a last stand against Imperial forces, but the Empire emerged victorious. Faerghus ended with her death, and its territories were annexed back into the Empire.
Locations[edit | edit source]
- County of Charon
- Conand Tower
- Dukedom of Fraldarius
- County of Galatea
- Margravite of Gautier
- Archdukedom of Itha
- Viscounty of Kleiman
- Lake Teutates
- Magdred Way
- Rhodos Coast
- County of Rowe
- Sacred Gwenhwyvar
- Western Church
Family Tree[edit | edit source]
Notable People from Faerghus[edit | edit source]
Royalty[edit | edit source]
- Loog von Blaiddyd (Deceased) - Founder and first Ruler of the Holy Kingdom of Faerghus.
- Klaus I - Annexing Leicester region to Faerghus. His sons divided the Kingdom into three Archdukedoms after his death.
- Lambert Egitte Blaiddyd (Deceased) - Ruler of the Holy Kingdom of Faerghus until his death in 1176.
- Rufus - Older brother of Lambert and regent of the Kingdom.
- Dimitri Alexandre Blaiddyd - Crown prince of the Holy Kingdom of Faerghus. Known for his chivalry, it seems a darkness may lurk beneath the surface. House leader of the Blue Lions. Becomes king during the events of Fire Emblem: Three Houses.
- Patricia von Arundel - King Lambert's second wife and former consort of the Adrestian Emperor.
Nobility[edit | edit source]
- Miklan Anschutz Gautier (Formerly) - First son of Margrave Gautier. Was disowned by his family due to his murderous actions towards his younger brother.
- Sylvain Jose Gautier - Second son of Margrave Gautier, made heir due to his possession of the Crest of Gautier. Childhood friend of Dimitri, Felix and Ingrid.
- Rodrigue Achille Fraldarius - Childhood friend of Lambert and Head of House Fraldarius. Father of Glenn and Felix.
- Glenn Fraldarius (Deceased) - Eldest son of Rodrigue, who was killed during the Tragedy of Duscur.
- Felix Hugo Fraldarius - Second son of Rodrigue and childhood friend of Dimitri, Sylvain and Ingrid. Heir of the Fraldarius dukedom.
- Lonato Gildas Gaspard - The current Head of House Gaspard.
- Christophe Gaspard (Deceased) - The late son of Lonato, he was executed by the Church for his alleged role in the Tragedy of Duscur.
- Baron Dominic - The current head of House Dominic, he is Gustave brother aswell as Annette uncle.
- Gustave Eddie Dominic (Formerly) - A knight in the service of the royal family and father of Annette.
- Annette Fantine Dominic - The daughter of Gustave and niece of the current Baron Dominic who is ever the good student, but can sometimes overdo it.
- Ingrid Brandl Galatea - The heir to House Galatea who lost her fiancé in the Tragedy of Duscur.
- Cassandra Rubens Charon (Formerly) - The daughter of the current Count Charon and wielder of the Hero's Relic Thunderbrand who was forced to leave her household for her alleged role in the Tragedy of Duscur.
- Cornelia Arnim - A scholar from the Empire, she once traveled to Faerghus where she cured a plague that was devastating the Kingdom's populace. For her deeds she was appointed the position of Court mage by King Lambert.
Military[edit | edit source]
- Gwendal - The commander of House Rowe's knights, known as the "Gray Lion".
- Jeralt Reus Eisner (Formerly) - The legendary captain of the Knights of Seiros and father of Byleth.
Commoners[edit | edit source]
- Dedue Molinaro - A commoner from Duscur who entered Dimitri's service, after being saved by the prince during the pogroms following the Tragedy.
- Mercedes von Martritz - The adopted daughter of a merchant family with a gentle, easygoing personality.
- Ashe Ubert - Born to merchants of the Gaspard region, he was adopted by Lord Lonato of House Gaspard along with his younger brother and sister.
- Yuri Leclerc - Born to a prostitute in west of the Kingdom, he was discovered and adopted by Count Rowe before adandonning his family after a scandal during his time at the Officers Academy.
Etymology[edit | edit source]
The locations in Faerghus are likely to reference the Irish Ulster Cycle, Welsh Mabinogion and Arthurian folklore from England. Ferdiad is Cú Chulainn's foster brother from the Ulster Cycle, Arianrhod and Gwydion are siblings from the Mabinogion and Gwenhwyfar is Welsh for Guinevere, the queen of Camelot. Teutates was a Celtic god, now mainly known from the Asterix comics by Goscinny and Uderzo.