A free spirit who hates the strict rules of the household where he was constantly told what to do and not do. Jesse's father was a high-ranking Zofian nobleman, and he was in fact friends with Clive and other nobles around his age. There were high expectations for him due to his skill with the sword, but trouble arose with the birth of his younger half-brother, as Jesse himself was born to a low-ranking concubine rather than a proper wife. Most of their vassals hoped Jesse would succeed his father, but Jesse decided instead to abandon his family name and run away for the sake of his sickly brother's future.
At some point in time, Jesse encountered Silque being kidnapped by bandits. Realizing her plight, he rescued her and then accompanied her during her travels for a distance, parting at Zofia Harbour. Later on, Jesse attempted to save Est from Grieth, but was captured and imprisoned at the Desert Stronghold. When Celica's party frees him he then joins their team.
Jesse is a individual who enjoys life without restrictions, leading to his ambition of creating a kingdom that could not be tied down by anyone. Being very flirtatious and often smooth talking women in Celica's army, and even Celica herself, he is also quite a dreamer as shown in his supports with Saber.
In Celica's route, she gains access to three Mercenary units: Jesse, Saber, and Kamui. When considering the three Mercenary units that Celica can obtain, they can generally be simplified into 3 types. Saber is the durable, defensive Mercenary, Kamui is the all-rounder Mercenary with even stats, and Jesse is the late recruit with the best base stats and growths making him the most dangerous. An optional, Pre-Promoted Myrmidon, Deen, is also available to recruit. Deen is best described as fragile and aggressive.
Jesse can be considered a quasi Est Archetype, in that he joins a ways into the game and comes to you below your average party level. However, unlike Est, Jesse actually starts with better stats for his level than other characters of the same class. While Jesse's growths are very high, they are not quite as explosively high as Est's (Jesse having 190% total growth, and Est having 250% total in a game where the average is roughly 150%), but they are high enough where he will outshine characters of the same class. His starting level and stats should only be a little behind your current party, so giving him a sword and catching him up is perfectly feasible without any grinding. He is, overall, one of the strongest units available to Celica.
|Base Class||First Tier||Second Tier||Third Tier||Overclass|
*DLC class; visit Shrine to access.
**Possible to loop back to Villager after Dread Fighter and Yasha.
Personal Max Stats
- See also: Jesse/Supports
—Jesse's death quote
Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
- "In the former territory of Grieth, he built a new country.
Afterwards, he became known as the Desert Mercenary."
Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
- After successfully founding a mercenary kingdom in Grieth's former land, Jesse then proved successful at ruling it. In times of strife, he worked with Alm to secure peace. Tales of his valor are told even now, in which he's reverentially called "the Steel Amidst the Sand."
Jesse is illustrated in the trading card game Fire Emblem Cipher with the following cards:
Choose Your Legends Placement History
|Gaiden/Echoes: Shadows of Valentia||205|
|CYL3 saw the transition to different counting mechanisms involving versions of characters and ties, so change measured between CYL2 and CYL3 shouldn't be taken at face value.|
|Gaiden/Echoes: Shadows of Valentia||196|
|Gaiden/Echoes: Shadows of Valentia||180|
|Gaiden/Echoes: Shadows of Valentia||158|
|CYL6||312||Gaiden/Echoes: Shadows of Valentia||236|
- The "Choose Your Legends" event of Fire Emblem Heroes revealed that he was 747th out of 791 with 43 votes, tying him with Grieth as the lowest scoring character of the Gaiden portion.
- In the "Choose Your Legends 3" event of Fire Emblem Heroes, Jesse placed 456th with 196 votes and was 49th out of the Gaiden/Shadows of Valentia characters, 28th out of the playable characters, 25th out of the male characters and 19th out of the playable male characters.
- Jesse is one of the three characters to trigger a different ending for other characters if he dies, but not the contrary, specifically Saber's and Kamui's. The others are Clive and Valbar, triggering Forsyth's and Leon's alternative ending, but the contrary won't happen.
- In the Italian version, there's a typo in Jesse's ending. His title in said ending is typed 'la lama della sabbie', while it should be 'la lama delle sabbie'. That's because 'sabbie' is italian for 'sands', which is plural, but 'della' is a proposition that should be used before singular names. For plural names, 'delle' should be used.
- Jesse's artwork from Echoes depicts him wielding a Steel Sword.
- See main article: Jesse/Gallery.