—Michalis' battle quote in Shadow Dragon
Michalis (ミシェイル, translated Misheil in the Japanese versions) is a boss character in both books of the Akaneia Series, but is playable in Fire Emblem: Shin Monshō no Nazo ~Hikari to Kage no Eiyū~. He is the Prince, and later King, of Medon.
Michalis kills his father Osmond, the previous King of Medon, as he feels that he was a weak ruler and let Akaneia push them around. It is also implied that Gharnef may have played off Michalis's ambitions. He is eager to prove that Medon is the strongest nation in Akaneia and have the right to conquer the land, thus he agreed to ally with the Doluna Empire. Seeing possible conflict with his sister Minerva, he lies to his youngest sister Maria and has her imprisoned to keep Minerva in line. He feels remorse for this, however, despite the fact that he feels no remorse about killing his father. He originally planned to fight Doluna once Medon was the most powerful nation but he lost sight of the goal the longer he worked with them. If the player recruits Matthis using Lena and has Matthis talk to Marth, Matthis originally believes Marth will kill him (Matthis, that is) because, as Matthis then tells Marth, Michalis "puts the most scared-looking soldiers on the front line for a reason" and kills those who defy him. He is, however, tolerant with Gotoh, who keeps warning him that he is walking to the path of destruction. He finally faces his sister Minerva in battle and where he was badly wounded and was presumed to have died.
In Mystery of the Emblem, it is revealed that after this, his sister Maria tended to him with utmost care and it healed his soul. When he heard Maria had vanished, he worked alone to try to search for her, also rescuing Minerva and sending her to join Marth. In the end, he managed to steal the Starlight spell from Gharnef, but was badly wounded. He managed to give the spell book to Marth before finally succumbing to his wounds.
However, he can survive in Fire Emblem: Shin Monshō no Nazo ~Hikari to Kage no Eiyū~ by having Minerva wait one turn on the village he is on, followed by having Marth visit it. Due to his sheer will, Michalis is able to recover and join with Marth. After the war, accounts say he either resumed his position as King of Medon, or later becomes the king of a kingdom on a different continent.
*Dropped when defeated.
It should be noted, that in Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem, he moves around the map rather than sitting on the castle gate making him more of a threat. A generic Dragon Knight takes his place in guarding the castle.
|Lance - B|
Axe - A
*Dropped when defeated.
As a boss on Normal mode, Michalis is considered easy for so late in the game even though his major weakness of being a Dracoknight has been annulled. His stats are lackluster for being on such a high level and having very low resistance makes him susceptible to being taken out in one punch by a magic attack. Since he has the Iote's Shield, arrows and Excalibur do not inflict bonus damage on him.
- Chapter 21: Minerva must Wait on the Village in the Chapter before the end of turn 15. Then Visit the Village with Marth. Michalis will then join from the Battle Preparations in Chapter 22.
- Downloadable Episode 1 - Wind and Thunder: Automatically from turn 2.
|Lance - B|
Axe - B
Michalis can make a decent unit at Endgame if you really need somebody to fill in for a mission. However, his base luck is very low, along with his growth rate. A Goddess Icon or two can support him well, even if he is still prone to critical hits. It is recommended to give him a Brave weapon for optimal performance.
—Michalis in Chapter 3 of Mystery of the Emblem
—Michalis's battle quote
—Michalis's battle quote against Catria, Est or Palla
—Michalis's battle quote against Marth
—Michalis's battle quote against Maria
Shin Monshō no Nazo ~Hikari to Kage no Eiyū~
Accounts are conflicted about Michalis after the war. Some said he ruled over Medon once again, while others claimed he departed to conquer another continent.
- Strangely, in Shin Monshō no Nazo ~Hikari to Kage no Eiyū~, Michalis cannot wake Maria from Gharnef's hypnotism, despite Michalis spending the entire war searching for Maria, as he feels rescuing her is the only way he can repent of his sins, and if he isn't recruited, he tells Marth to tell Minerva to rescue Maria in his place before he dies. When Minerva later wakes Maria, she immediately inquires about Michalis, and Minerva hesistates before telling Maria that he's alright. It is revealed in a Base Conversation between Michalis and the Avatar that Michalis intended to leave Medon after saving Maria. He had concluded that he had lost the right to speak to Maria and that only Minerva deserved to speak to her after her rescue.
- His portrait in the original NES version is an edited version of Nabarl.
- In Fire Emblem Fates japanese version, Percy's wyvern is named after Michalis.
- Michalis makes a cameo appearance on Minerva's Pegasus Knight card in Fire Emblem 0 (Cipher).