Outset of a Power Struggle is the twelfth chapter of Fire Emblem: Three Houses for players who chose to lead the Black Eagles and chose to side with Edelgard in the previous chapter. This chapter marks the beginning of the Crimson Flower story.
After Byleth sides with Edelgard over Rhea following the skirmish in the Holy Tomb, Hubert teleports the party away and they all find a way into an Imperial provisional camp to discuss the next course of action. Flayn, however, leaves to protect Garreg Mach alongside the Church of Seiros. Edelgard confronts her house on the matter of the revelations regarding archbishop Rhea and the Church of Seiros and asks if they are willing to fight alongside her, to which they all comply. Within the camp, many have conflicting feelings about the turn of events and contemplate their various situations. Additionally, two Imperial commanders have been added into the assault, Ladislava, Edelgard's head of personal guard and Randolph, Caspar's uncle.
After preparations have been made Edelgard directs her army in an assault on the Monastery. While the fight is intense, Edelgard is ultimately triumphant in her assault, forcing Rhea and the Knights of Seiros out of Garreg Mach Monastery. However, before she is forced to retreat she collapses part of the monastery on Byleth.
In exchange, Flayn is no longer available and Catherine, Cyril, Seteth, and Hilda cannot be recruited. Any other non-Black Eagle student that has not already been recruited prior to the start of this chapter are also no longer available for recruitment, except for Lysithea, who can be recruited in Chapter 14.
The initial assault is predominately against Armor Knights, with Mercenaries and Pegasus Knights strewn around. If a unit goes too far down the center road an ambush will spring, spawning various powerful units.
- Gilbert L33 w/ Tomahawk, Silver Axe
- Seteth L33 w/ Silver Lance
- Flayn L33 w/ Seraphim, Heal, Nosferatu, Silence
- 11x Armored Knight L32 w/ Silver Axe
- 2x Mercenary L32 w/ Silver Sword
- 5x Pegasus Knight L32 w/ Silver Lance
- Once you pass the Ramparts on the middle path:
- Once you have defeated all three Commanders:
- Rhea L34 w/ Sword of Seiros, Fire, Bolganone, Agnea's Arrow, Heal, Recover, Nosferatu
- Catherine L33 w/ Thunderbrand
- Cyril L33 w/ Silver Axe
- 2x Golem L32
- 3x Mercenary L32 w/ Silver Sword
- 2x Mage L32 w/ Fire
- 2x Sniper L32 w/ Silver Bow
- 2x Paladin L32 w/ Silver Lance
- 1x Archer L32 w/ *Blessed Bow
- 2x Priest L32 w/ Nosferatu, Heal
- Once you haven't defeated all three Commanders within 10 turns:
- 1x Brigand
- 1x Dark Mage
- Death Knight and a Armored Knight arrive as reinforcements if Flayn is defeated
Subjective: The following part of this article is based upon the editor's personal experiences and opinions, and therefore may not be applicable for all readers.
[Insert strategy here]