Petrine is an enemy character from Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance.
Petrine is one of Daein's Four Riders during The Mad King's War. She first appears as part of the Daein force that pursues the Greil Mercenaries during their flight to Gallia with Princess Elincia. Her forces briefly catch up with the mercenaries in Chapter 7: Shades of Evil, and she manages to confront Greil directly, but the encounter is cut short when laguz led by Ranulf arrive, spooking her soldiers. Petrine refuses to retreat, suggesting she would be punished by Ashnard for doing so. However, the Black Knight, another of Daein's Four Riders, appears and orders Petrine to retreat, at which point she takes her leave.
Though she continues to play a role in the story for much of the game, Petrine is not encountered in proper battle as a boss until Chapter 23: The Great Bridge, where she is killed during the battle at Riven Bridge. Her subordinates in the Daein Army were Ena, Shiharam, Homasa, and Kayachey; all of whom other than Ena were killed trying to prevent Ike and his army from entering and conquering Daein.
Petrine is strong-willed and intimidating toward those under her command. She shows no fear when confronted by the laguz and calls her men cowards for wanting to flee. However, she is deeply intimidated by Ashnard. When speaking with Ashnard face-to-face, she becomes noticeably nervous in her speech and demeanor while presenting him with Lehran's Medallion in Chapter 21: Without a King. Further, upon being mortally wounded in Chapter 23, she begs the absent Ashnard's forgiveness and pleads that she is afraid of dying.
Of Daein's Four Riders, Petrine is depicted as the most overtly racist toward the laguz, referring to them as half-breeds. Her animosity toward laguz likely stems from her treatment by laguz in the past, as it is explained elsewhere, such as the A-rank support conversation between Stefan and Mordecai, that laguz treat Branded, an off-spring of beorc and laguz parentage, with far greater disdain than beorc do, which is supported in her battle conversation with Soren when she sees his own brand.
Despite this apparent animosity, she appears to hold some level of respect for the dragon laguz Ena, who was appointed as her strategist by Ashnard after managing to prove her abilities to her. Petrine also shows some level of reluctance when Ashnard orders her to kill Ena for her failure to prevent the fall of Daein's capital, Nevassa.
Path of RadianceEdit
- Appears in Chapter 23 as a boss.
|Daunt|| Lance - S|
Axe - A
| Flame Lance|
Hard Mode or higherEdit
|Daunt|| Lance - S|
Axe - A
| Flame Lance|
|Sword - B|
Lance - A
*Enemy only; joins unequipped
- Icy Flame-Lancer
- One of Daein's Four Riders. Wields the Flame Lance with a callous disdain for those around her. Appears in Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance.
| Flame Lance|
|Flame Lance||Silver Lance||-||-|
|A||Atk/Spd Push 1||-||-|
|Atk/Spd Push 2||Atk/Spd Push 1||-|
|Atk/Spd Push 3||Atk/Spd Push 2|
|C||Threaten Atk 1||-|
|25px Threat Atk/Def 1||Threaten Atk 1|
|25px Threat Atk/Def 2||25px Threat Atk/Def 1|
Subjective: The following part of this article is based upon the editor's personal experiences and opinions, and therefore may not be applicable for all readers.
- Ike: "You... You're the knight that my father battled."
- Petrine: "You! If I'd know you were going to grow to be such a thorn in our side... I would have reduced you to ashes when I had the chance... Guess it's not too late, though! Die!"
- Petrine: "You... That mark on your brow... That's not a charm of the dead, is it? You're no Spirit Charmer! Hmph! You may be able to fool others with that, but not me. It's because we're the same, see?"
- Soren: "...The same? Don't be ridiculous. I'm nothing like you. You kill for sport, and hide your fear behind a wall of bravado. Now let me show you true fear!"
- Petrine: "Just as I expected. I thought I gave you a chance to clear the stain of your name... Yet you and Shiharam are treachery in the flesh. Useless migrants!"
- Haar: "To think we endured this for eighteen long years. It seems General Shiharam and I were not to be blessed with any masters worthy of serving. All we found were paltry pretenders..."
- Petrine: "You insult His Majesty? You know not your place, you louse-ridden oaf! Your failing are yours, and yours alone! It's time for you to burn! Don't worry, I will let the dogs snack on what's left!"
'Petrin' is the French translation of 'trouble'. Also, the word 'petrine' means "of or relating to Saint Peter;" however, perhaps the most important etymological reference is to Petreius, a pseudo-historical Roman general in mythical British histories such as the Historia Regnum Britanniae by Geoffrey of Monmouth. According to this text, a Roman Emperor named Lucius demands that Arthur pay him tribute as his liege lord. Arthur refuses and instead argues that it is Rome who should pay Britain homage. Arthur and his knights sail to the Continent, take France from the Roman governor who ruled there, and then march on to Rome. Petreius fights against them and falls to King Arthur.
'Prague', Petrine's Japanese name, is the name of the capital city of the Czech Republic.
- Petrine has a support bonus with Ashnard, preventing her from being critical when Ashnard is adjacent to her. This is only usable in the post game Trial Maps.
- Petrine's Path Of Radiance artwork depicts her wielding the Flame Lance.
- According to the first volume of Tellius Recollection, it is established that she is a Branded from Tiger Heritage.
- While this was the first time confirming Petrine was a Branded, there have been clues prior, such as the official artwork showing a green mark located above her right breast, confirmed to be her brand in Fire Emblem Heroes.
- See main article: Petrine/Gallery.