The Sniper (スナイパー Sunaipā) is a combat physical class that recurrently appears across the Fire Emblem Series, beginning from Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light. The promoted form of the Archer and Bow Fighter classes, Snipers wield Bows as their primary weapon of choice. While not particularly different from normal Archers, the Sniper class is open to the more advanced Bows of higher weapon ranks. Like their Archer predecessors, Snipers are able to operate Ballistae.
- 1 History in the Series
- 2 Overview
- 3 In-Game
- 4 Notable Snipers
- 4.1 Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light/Shadow Dragon
- 4.2 Gaiden
- 4.3 Mystery of the Emblem/New Mystery of the Emblem
- 4.4 Genealogy of the Holy War
- 4.5 Thracia 776
- 4.6 TearRing Saga: Utna Heroes Saga
- 4.7 The Binding Blade
- 4.8 The Blazing Blade
- 4.9 The Sacred Stones
- 4.10 Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn
- 4.11 TearRing Saga: Berwick Saga
- 4.12 Awakening
- 4.13 Fates
- 4.14 Three Houses
- 4.15 Vestaria Saga I
- 4.16 Vestaria Saga: The Holy Sword of Silvanister
- 5 Trivia
- 6 Gallery
History in the Series
In its original inception in Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light, the Sniper class is established as the staple promoted form of the Archer class, locked to Bows as its sole weapon of choice.
In Mystery of the Emblem, the Sniper class is reverted to simply being the promoted form of the Archer class and is unable to promote any further.
In TearRing Saga: Utna Heroes Saga, the Sniper class is known as the Bow Master (ボウマスター Bou masutā), and is again the promoted form of the Bow Fighter class.
Beginning from The Binding Blade, the Sniper class is firmly cemented as the main promoted form of the re-introduced Archer class.
In TearRing Saga: Berwick Saga, Sylwiss is the sole playable Sniper (スナイパー Sunaipā). Her version of the class is capable of wielding both Bows and Crossbows and has the Light Infantry movement type. An enemy-only class is also known as a Sniper (狙撃兵 sogekihei); unlike Sylwiss, these Snipers can only wield crossbows and have the Infantry movement type. They have superior stats to other enemy bow wielders, making them very dangerous.
In Fire Emblem: Three Houses, the Sniper Class is an optional promoted class of the Commoner or Noble class if the unit passes the Certification Exam at Lv. 20 with a Bow Skill Level of A or higher and an Advanced Seal.
In Vestaria Saga: The Holy Sword of Silvanister, a variant of the Deadshot known as the High Hunter is playable. There appears to be no difference between the two classes. The class is exclusive to Penelope.
While Snipers do receive a significant boost in Defense and HP as compared to their first-tier forms, they are still very vulnerable targets and cannot sustain too much damage, especially so in earlier titles. In the more recent games, however, Snipers have average Defense, surpassed by heavily armored units but exceeding those boasted by Swordmasters, Sages and the like. These incarnations of the class will often dodge many attacks directed at them, but as they are still locked to attacking at a range and incapable of counterattacking, it is thus risky to consistently deploy them as frontline units. They should therefore work in the backlines instead, supporting the frontlines while being protected from direct harm.
Snipers fight exactly like their Archer counterparts, only with more power. Like Myrmidons becoming Swordmasters, Archers becoming Snipers sometimes receive much higher Critical hit chances, namely in Path of Radiance, Radiant Dawn and Shadow Dragon. This bonus shows up less frequently with Snipers than it does with Swordmasters, however.
In WiFi battles, Snipers are a very good class to deploy. They possess enough Speed to double most units, and their naturally high Skill grants them increased critical hit rates. In addition to this, Snipers' use of Bows effectively means that they are immune to the Weapon Triangle, allowing them to strike any target of their choice without fear of any penalties. Although Snipers have low Movement, their ability to use long-range brave weapons is highly valuable. More important is their ability to use Longbows; these are invaluable in breaking chokepoints and chipping away at enemy HP without being hit with a counterattack. This advantage can be better exploited if ballistae are available for use, as enemies can be either weakened or felled simply by constant fire from Snipers operating these machines.
In Fates, the Sniper is similar to their other incarnations, possessing fairly high Skill and Speed along with decent Strength and Defense stats. With Fates bow/yumi weapons, Snipers are one of the few classes to possess an S-Rank in their primary weapon style, allowing them to use the powerful Pursuer in battle. Snipers are still hampered by their inability to attack units possessing less range than their current weapon, though the Point Blank skill rectifies this flaw and turns Snipers into a far more dangerous foe then their stats suggest.
- ★ - FE10 SP Class.
|TS||City Fighter||Class skill of the Bow Master class.|
|FE8||Sure Strike||Class skill of the Sniper class.|
|FE9||Deadeye||Occult skill of the Sniper class; assign with an Occult Scroll.|
|Base skill of all foot units.|
Class skill of the Sniper, Swordmaster and Sentinel classes.
|FE11||Hit Rate +5|
|FE12||Hit Rate +5|
|FE13||Hit Rate +20|
|Learned at Level 5.|
Learned at Level 15.
Hit Rate +10
|Learned at Level 5 and above.|
Learned at Level 15 and above.
|FE15||Bowrange +2||Class skill of the Sniper and Bow Knight classes.|
|Class Ability of the Sniper class.|
Class Ability of the Sniper class.
Mastery Ability of Snipers.
|Base Class||Promotion Method||Promoted Class|
|FE1||Archer||Use Orion's Bolt on a Level 10+ Archer.||Sniper|
|FE2||Archer||Visit Shrine after reaching Level 7.||Sniper|
|FE2||Sniper||Visit Shrine after reaching Level 10.||Bow Knight|
|FE3||Archer||Use Orion's Bolt on a Level 10+ Archer.||Sniper|
|FE4||Bow Fighter||Choose the "Class Change" option in the Home Castle when the relevant unit reaches Level 20.||Sniper|
|FE5||Bow Fighter||Use a Knight Proof on a Level 10+ Archer.||Sniper|
|TS||Bow Fighter||Use a Knight Proof on a Level 10+ Bow Fighter.||Bow Master|
|FE6||Archer||Use Orion's Bolt on a Level 10+ Archer.||Sniper|
|FE7||Archer||Use Orion's Bolt on a Level 10+ Archer.||Sniper|
|FE8||Archer||Use Orion's Bolt on a Level 10+ Archer.||Sniper|
|Use a Master Seal on a Level 10+ Archer.|
|Use a Master Seal on a Level 10+ Archer or train an Archer to Level 21.|
|Use a Master Crown on a Level 10+ Sniper or train a Sniper to Level 21.|
|FE11||Archer||Use a Master Seal on a Level 10+ Archer.||Sniper|
|FE12||Archer||Use a Master Seal on a Level 10+ Archer.||Sniper|
|FE13||Archer||Use a Master Seal on a Level 10+ Archer.||Sniper|
|FE14||Archer||Use a Master Seal on a Level 10+ Archer.||Sniper|
|FE16||Any class||Use an Advanced Seal on a Level 20+ unit and pass the Sniper Certification Exam.||Sniper|
|FEW||Archer||Use a Master Seal on Takumi.||Sniper|
- Jeorge - A member of the noble Menidy family and loyal to Nyna.
- Promotion for: Gordin, Tomas and Norne.
- Wolff- Boss of Chapter 3 in Celica's route. Member of the Grieth Pirates who guards the Desert Stronghold
- Promotion for: Python and Leon
- Possible promotion for: Male Villagers
- Tomas - One of the exclusive playable characters returns in New Mystery of the Emblem.
- Clarisse - One of the assassins and exclusive boss in New Mystery of the Emblem.
- Promotion for: Ryan, Gordin and Norne.
- Brigid - The long-lost daughter of Duke Ring of Jungby, who was raised by the Orgahill Pirates. The older sister of Edain and the older half-sister of Andorey. The mother of Febail and Patty and the aunt of Lester, Rana and Scipio.
- Draco - One of the twelve Deadlords.
- Promotion for: Jamke, Febail and Asaello.
- Raquel - A bow master known as the "Bow Goddess". Swore never to kill another human.
- Promotion for: Ruka and Rennie.
- Klein - The son of Pent and Louise.
- Igrene - The daughter of Hawkeye, and protector of the Nabata Desert.
- Promotion for: Wolt and Dorothy.
- Louise - The wife of Pent.
- Denning - One of Nergal's stronger morphs and the boss of Chapter 29/31.
- Promotion for: Wil and Rebecca.
- Shinon - A senior member of the Greil Mercenaries and a secondary boss of Path of Radiance Chapter 18.
- Norris - The boss of Path of Radiance Chapter 13.
- Rolf - The student of Shinon.
- Silvano - The boss of Radiant Dawn in Chapter 3-P.
- Promotion for: Rolf in Path of Radiance and Leonardo in Radiant Dawn.
- Sylwiss: A bounty hunter and mercenary hailing from the female-run island of Apollonia. She's prone to exaggerate her prowess.
- Shamir - An ex-mercenary from Dagda now working for the Knights of Seiros to repay her debt to Rhea. She's Catherine's companion and oddly gets along well with her.
- Promotion for Dune and Sheela.
Vestaria Saga: The Holy Sword of Silvanister
- Sheela - Granddaughter of the Yapa elder. She is determined to see the world for herself.
- Penelope - A cold-hearted woman who is searching for the man who killed her father.
- Snipers are the only class that appeared in the entire main series with the same name (except for the Japanese version of Fates) and weapon usage.