I want to make three broad types of units: support, who aren't much good at dealing damage but provide rallies, healing, and other supportive skills; attackers, who deal high damage, and tanks, who have high defense.
1. Kana: Father will be Izana (making him a good support unit). Shura passes down the outlaw class, which is meh, and marrying Gunter's just gross. Marrying one of the kids is gross for the reverse reason.
From my avatar, my Kana will have access to the standard Nohr Noble stuff, as well as Samurai. This grants her Astra, Swordfaire (goes well with Nohr Noble), Life and Death, and Vantage. Kana is practically the only male child character at this point who can get Vantage. This makes him an excellent candidate for the Great Lord class, which can get Awakening.
With Izana as a father, Kana's the only kid who can have access to the Onymoji and Great Master class, too.
Friend: Siegbert or Percy.
Final skill set:
2. Shigure (Azura/Laslow): Support Unit. Will be a rally unit thanks to his personal skill. Ideally will be a berserker for as long as possible to grab as much HP as possible so that his personal can be of use.
Married: Velouria (for Rally Strength).
Friend: Forrest or none (gets nothing from Forrest, but Forrest gets sky knight).
Final skill set:
Rally Speed (Falco Knight), Rally Strength (Berserker), Rally Skill (Bow Knight), Rally Resistance (Strategist), Inspiration/Amaterasu (Strategist/Kinshi Knight).
3. Dwyer (Jacob/Nyx): Support Unit. Dwyer will be my end-game Butler. It's thematically appropriate, and his mediocre strength prevents him from being a front line character anyway. Either that, or I make him a mage...but then I'd have to find another Butler.
Married: Nina...? Not Ophelia, she gives the same class as Dwyer's mother. Either Nina or Soleil, but Dwyer's already got a healing skill.
Friend: Percy or none; Ignatius is his only friend option. Percy gives the option of making Dwyer into a more general damage dealer.
Final skill set:
4. Midori (Kaze/Beruka): Attack Unit. Have Kaze pass Astra down to Midori; she can't get it normally. Spendthrift has established itself as a devastating skill due to the ease with which gold bars may be farmed; Midori will try to give that to as many people as possible.
Maybe I could combine her high skill with Pavise or Aegis and make her a tank in conjunction with spendthrift? It'd be nice to have two unkillable Midoris running around.
Married: Midori grants two extremely powerful classes, mechanist and merchant, which give replicate and spendthrift respectively. She should marry a unit who is tough enough to withstand damage from being in two places at once. Ignatius, perhaps, or Siegbert.
Friend: Ophelia. Grants Lifetaker to a unit that has scant healing skills. Vengeance synergizes nicely with life and death, and bowbreaker makes Midori, in conjunction with her other skills, a devastating archer killer.
Final skill set: Profiteer (initially, will be dropped), Spendthrift, Replicate, Trample, Savage Blow, Astra
5. Sophie (Silas/Selena): Tank or Attack Unit. Sophie's one of my tougher units, and with her defenses covered for the most part it might be fun to explore more offensive options with her. Currently a Great Knight to pick up Luna and Armored Blow, both useful skills. Hero with its Sol is useful too...Axebreaker might not be needed but is a nice pick-up. Bowknight's rally skill is kind of iffy, I don't want her to be a background support character, but I suspect that Shurikenbreaker will be highly useful. Selena grants her the falco/kinshi knight classes...warding blow could be a nice complement to armored blow, making her good at attacking anyone as long as she can survive the following turn. Selena gave Sophie the interesting choice Sky Knight; she is the only child who can use it.
Sophie's ONLY logical friendship set is from Velouria. Axefaire and Rally Strength are both excellent additions. Marrying her to Siegbert/Percy gives her the wyvern sets, which complement her physical prowess well. Her crappy mag growth makes her a poor pairing for Dwyer or Forrest, though I suppose Maid has its useful skill Tomebreaker.
Married: Sophie's not really lacking anything; I might not get her married at all. Percy/Siegbert/Ignatius if I have to marry someone.
Final skill set: Luna, Armored Blow, Axefaire, Axebreaker, Sol, Warding Blow, Air Superiority, Trample, Savage Blow.
6. Siegbert (Xander/Charlotte): Tank or Attack Unit. Kind of like Sophie right now, which is unsurprising since they're both Great Knights (I really don't like the paladin class). Siegbert is geared up to be the epitome of physical strength thanks to his mother. The Wyvern line offers a bunch of good offensive skills. The Berserker/Hero line also help increase his survivability and damage, particularly with axes. Given his high offensive power and toughness, he's a good candidate to marry Midori and take advantage of the replicate skill...tentatively. He has some really interesting marriage/friendship sets which I need to think more about.
Friend: Ignatius (...or Forrest?)
Final skill set: Pavise, Aegis, Replicate, Armored Blow, Axefaire, Axebreaker, Sol, Luna, Trample, Savage Blow, Tomebreaker
7. Forrest (Leo/Felicia): Attack Unit. Forrest has the best mag of any unit in my army right now, so skill-hunting will be used to promote his survivability as top priority, followed by ways to make him even more destructive. He should be in the Sorcerer class for as long as possible to maximize his magic growth. If his magic is fine, consider partnering with Shigure and doing sky knight to get some much-needed speed growth.
Since Forrest is so prone to taking gouts of damage due to his awful defence, it's tempting to make use of vengeance. However in most circumstances I've seen he simply dies before he gets to take advantage of this skill. In light of this, I want to focus on grabbing as many breaker skills as I can. The Great Knight's armored blow, General/Paladin's pavise and aegis, and Hero's Sol are all good choices, but Forrest will want to get out of these classes ASAP due to Forrest's horrible strength.
Friend: Shigure, maybe.
Final Skill set:
8. Ignatius (Benny/Peri): Tank. My Ignatius, in his current state at least, is nice and unkillable physically. This could make certain skills like armored blow redundant. I COULD go all the way with all the defensive skills and make him unkillable, or I can pick up some offense if I friend him with Percy for the wyvern line, and marry him to someone like ophelia to introduce some more offensive skills. Ignatius' defense is already off the charts, so there's little point in keeping him in the general class for more def. Consider reclassing to Hero to maximize his skill growth (for the highest chance of Aegis/Pavise activation) or something that grants him good resistances.
I really want Ignatius to get Tomebreaker. Unfortunately the only way he can get it is from partnering with Forrest, and I also kind of want Forrest to pair up with Shigure. Choices...
Final Skill set:
9. Nina (Niles/Mozu): Attack Unit. Thanks to Mozu's aptitude, Nina has had amazing growths practically across the map. She is still rather fragile, however.
Her mom being Mozu, Nina has some interesting options other Nohr children don't have. She can pair Life and Death together with Spendthrift to generate a whopping +20 damage. From Niles, Life and Death goes well with Vengeance. She gets a couple of useful breaker skills as well. She can marry Percy to further expand her devastating offensive potential, or she can marry the others for a mix of offensive and defensive skills. Armored Blow from Great Knight would nicely counteract Life and Death's drawbacks.
10. Ophelia (Odin/Elise): Attack Unit. Alt class is Samurai. Duellist's Blow and Vantage are useful also, and they're still good choices.
My friend makes an interesting case for Ophelia to pick up Vantage, Astra/Vengeance, Life and Death, and friendship set her with Midori and grab Spendthrift. This way, she can hypothetically deal a +50 damage if she activates Astra with a gold bar on hand. I could either go vantage/vengeance, or lifetaker/something else to complement this combo.
11. Percy (Arthur+Effie):
Percy's poor strength growths are nicely countered by the fact that his mom had ridiculous amounts of strength that she passed down.
12. Soleil (Laslow+Azura):
Soleil's the only child that can be a ninja.
13. Velouria (Keaton+Camilla):