History in the SeriesEdit
In its original inception in Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light and Mystery of the Emblem, the Dracoknight class is the promoted form of the Pegasus Knight class, and is thus unable to promote any further.
Beginning from Genealogy of the Holy War, Dragon Knights are cleanly separated from the Pegasus Knight class, with the Dragonmaster class introduced and instituted to be the promoted form of the class. Like its predecessors, the Dragon Knight class wields Swords and Lances as its weapons of choice in this installment.
In TearRing Saga: Utna Heroes Saga, the Dragon Knight class, like its original iteration, is once again intertwined with the Pegasus Knight class by acting as its promoted form. The Dragon Knight class also functions as the promoted form of a Commando Knight named Raffin, owing to the plot establishing him as originally being a wyvern-riding combatant.
The Wyvern Rider class is redubbed Dracoknight (竜騎士 Doragon naito) in Radiant Dawn and promotes into the Dragonmaster class. This title is credited as being the pioneer of the class being outfitted with the Axe as its sole weapon of choice instead of the Lance.
In Fates, the Wyvern Rider class is treated as a Nohrian class, and is further given the option to promote into Malig Knights, a class that arms Tomes and Axes as its weapons of choice. The class' Hoshidan counterpart is the Sky Knight.
In the spin-off title Warriors, the Wyvern Rider acts as the base class for Minerva. Unlike previous incarnations, this version can only use Axes. The class acts as a clone of the Malig Knight, and as such, makes it the first time in franchise history of Wyvern Riders being female only units. Unlike in Fates, Wyvern Riders can pop up under the Hoshidan flag, where they are called Wyvern Warriors (飛竜武者, Hiryū Musha, lit. Flying Dragon Warrior in the Japanese version).
Like all other flying units, Wyvern Riders are units that stand out for not just high Movement, but also the ability to traverse terrain that is normally impassable. Wyvern Riders typically excel in HP, Strength and Defense, and thus make for fairly decent combatants against regular enemy units.
Wyvern Riders do, however, suffer from having easily exploitable weaknesses. The most glaring of these is that of the fact that in most of their iterations, they are vulnerable to attacks inflicted by Bows and Wind Magic (save for Radiant Dawn, where they are weak to Thunder Magic and no longer vulnerable to bows). Apart from this, they are also vulnerable to dragon-slaying weapons like the Wyrmslayer. Given these facts, it is thus common to charge Wyvern Riders forward into areas where there are few bow or magic users and hold them back when bow users are abundant. However, these weaknesses can be nullified by placing Iote's Shield, Delphi Shield or Fili Shield into their inventories, all of which are imbued with blessings that guard their holders from sustaining bonus damage from weapons effective against them.
In WiFi battles, Dracoknights are occasionally used due to their strong Defense allowing them to survive being attacked by Brave Sword-wielding Swordmasters. However, they can still be killed one-on-one by Berserkers. The main reason Dracoknights are used, despite this weakness, is because of their unparalleled movement; 10 base movement (12 with Boots), with no terrain hindrance, gives them the best scouting ability of any unit (tied with Falcon Knights). However, because they are weak to bows, a squad is usually limited to one Dracoknight only. Several tactics rely on the Dracoknight's ability to embark on reconnaissance missions to determine the strength of immediate foes. Their weakness to Berserkers is usually avoided by actively scouting a Berserker and killing them preemptively.
|FE4||Re-Move||Hidden base skill of all mounted and flying units.|
|TS||Re-Move||Base skill of Pegasus Knight and Dragon Knight classes.|
|FE10||Canto||Base skill of all mounted and flying units.|
|FE13|| Strength +2|
|Learnt at Level 1.|
Learnt at Level 10.
|FE14|| Strength +2|
|Learnt at Level 1 and above.|
Learnt at Level 10 and above.
|Base Class||Promotion Method||Promoted Class(es)|
|FE1||Pegasus Knight||Use a Dragon Whip on a Level 10+ Pegasus Knight.||Dracoknight|
|FE3||Pegasus Knight||Use a Dragon Whip on a Level 10+ Pegasus Knight.||Dracoknight|
|FE4||Dragon Knight||Choose the "Class Change" option in the Home Castle when the relevant unit reaches Level 20.||Dragonmaster|
|FE5||Dragon Rider||Use a Knight Proof on a Level 10+ Dragon Rider.||Dragon Knight|
|TS||Pegasus Knight||Use a Dragon Flute on a Level 10+ Pegasus Knight.||Dragon Knight|
|TS (Raffin)||Commando Knight||Clear Map 10 and choose to activate the promotion event.||Dragon Knight|
|FE6||Wyvern Rider||Use an Elysian Whip on a Level 10+ Wyvern Rider.||Wyvern Lord|
|FE7||Wyvern Rider||Use an Elysian Whip on a Level 10+ Wyvern Rider.||Wyvern Lord|
|FE8||Wyvern Rider||Use an Elysian Whip on a Level 10+ Wyvern Rider.||Wyvern Lord|
|Use a Master Seal on a Level 10+ Wyvern Rider.|
|Use a Master Seal on a Level 10+ Dracoknight or train a Dracoknight to Level 21.|
|FE11||Pegasus Knight||Use a Master Seal on a Level 10+ Pegasus Knight.||Dracoknight|
|FE12||Pegasus Knight||Use a Master Seal on a Level 10+ Pegasus Knight.||Dracoknight|
|FE13||Wyvern Rider||Use a Master Seal on a Level 10+ Wyvern Rider.||Wyvern Lord|
|FE14||Wyvern Rider||Use a Master Seal on a Level 10+ Wyvern Rider.||Wyvern Lord|
|Use a Master Seal on Minerva.|
Notable Wyvern RidersEdit
- Minerva - The Princess of Macedon and leader of the Whitewings who took up arms against her brother.
- Michalis - The King of Macedon who had great ambitions for his country.
- Promotion for: Caeda, Palla, Catria, and Est
- Papilion - A Dragon Knight of Thracia.
- Altena - The daughter of Prince Quan of Leonster and Ethlyn and sister of Leif.
- Reshe - The daughter of King Bahanuke of Canaan.
- Simon - The leader of Canaan's Condor Squad.
- Marco - A member of the Condor Squad who rescues Leteena.
- Toms - A member of the Condor Squad.
- Philip - A member of the Condor Squad.
- Andrew - A member of the Condor Squad.
- Shion - The younger brother of Theodora.
- Theodora - The confidant of Prince Julius of Canaan.
- Promotion for: Sasha, Raffin, Mahter, Frau, and Verna.
- Melady - The elder sister of Zeiss and a renowned captain in Bern's army. Loyal to Princess Guinivere.
- Zeiss - The younger brother of Melady.
- Heath - An honorable knight who deserted the army of Bern.
- Larentia - A Dragon Knight of Peshire.
- Cherche - A vassal of House Virion who thinks her wyvern is adorable.
- Gerome - Cherche's son unaccustomed to interpersonal interactions whose wyvern belonged to his late mother.
- Beruka - A Wyvern-riding assassin and one of Camilla's retainers who seems devoid of emotion.
- Percy - Arthur's son who inherited his Hero of Justice mentality. Unlike his father, he has astronomically good luck and is close friends with his mount, Ace.
- Possible fixed reclass option for: Xander, Elise, Siegbert.